wood stove installation for two story house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave55

Aug 11, 2016
ohio
we're getting our material list together for our new wood stove and doing a two story install.
thanks for your help!

do I use the same ceiling box on the first floor as I do on the second floor?
if the 1st floor box is the same is there any other pcs. I use along with?

we're getting our material list together for our new wood stove and doing a two story install.
thanks for your help!

do I use the same ceiling box on the first floor as I do on the second floor?
if the 1st floor box is the same is there any other pcs. I use along with?

From the stove to the first ceiling box, you need to use connector pipe.
From the first floor ceiling box, all the way to the cap, you need to use Class A chimney pipe.

Reactions: dave55
Typically you would only use the ceiling support box on the first floor. The chimney would pass through a firestop on the second floor.

If you are using Selkirk/hart&cooley you can use a ceiling box as a firestop, it provides better protection. Other brands don't allow the chimney to pass through the box.

From the stove to the first ceiling box, you need to use connector pipe.
From the first floor ceiling box, all the way to the cap, you need to use Class A chimney pipe.

I was planning on using the telescoping pipe from the stove to the ceiling box and then double wall pipe thereafter, Thanks

Reactions: Poindexter
Typically you would only use the ceiling support box on the first floor. The chimney would pass through a firestop on the second floor.

If you are using Selkirk/hart&cooley you can use a ceiling box as a firestop, it provides better protection. Other brands don't allow the chimney to pass through the box.

I was planning on using a Duravent Ceiling box on the 1st floor, dbl. wall pipe, and then a Duravent triple wall tru the ceiling vent kit on the 2nd floor.
Does that sound correct?
Thanks

If this is passing through a "living area" Hallway, Bedroom, Closet... the Class A pipe will need to be boxed in so it can't be touched. You will need to have clearances, and that may depend on the materials used.

The entire chimney system needs to be either double wall or triple wall, it is not interchangeable. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

If you are using Dura-vent then all you really need is a firestop at the second floor. You can use a firestop/radiation shield on one side and a regular firestop on the other.

You need to use a support box where it passes through the floor the first time at that point it needs to go to chimney pipe (either double wall insulated or triple; double wall is better) And that chimney pipe goes all the way out the roof. You will need a fire stop every time it passes through a floor and support brackets how ever often the manufacturer calls for them. You will also need to box out around the pipe anywhere it is in living space. All of this will be clearly spelled out in the instructions of what ever chimney system you choose.

You need to use a support box where it passes through the floor the first time at that point it needs to go to chimney pipe (either double wall insulated or triple; double wall is better) And that chimney pipe goes all the way out the roof. You will need a fire stop every time it passes through a floor and support brackets how ever often the manufacturer calls for them. You will also need to box out around the pipe anywhere it is in living space. All of this will be clearly spelled out in the instructions of what ever chimney system you choose.

Hello all. I am new to this forum and to wood stoves, so here goes.
I have been given a Vermont wood stove with an 8" exhaust. I would like to take it straight up to the ceiling with black pipe and the. Though the floor into the second story. I know I need a special pipe to go through the ceiling/floor. My question is can I use black pipe again in the second floor to the ceiling and then go through the ceiling and roof with Class A.
Is it ok to do this? I would love to have some of that heat radiating into the second floor with the black pipe. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have been given a Vermont wood stove with an 8" exhaust. I would like to take it straight up to the ceiling with black pipe and the. Though the floor into the second story. I know I need a special pipe to go through the ceiling/floor. My question is can I use black pipe again in the second floor to the ceiling and then go through the ceiling and roof with Class A.
Is it ok to do this? I would love to have some of that heat radiating into the second floor with the black pipe. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Nope. Must be class a chimney and enclosed in a chase after it passes though the ceiling/floor.

T-Roy is correct, must be class A and enclosed.
We just finished a 2 story install and realizing every home is different, our stove heats the 2nd floor quite well w/o additional fans, etc. we've got about 3100 SF. to heat. We also had additional insulation blown into the attic this fall and replaced a few of the older windows. The additional attic insulation was a tremendous help, when running the AC the upstairs was 11degrees warmer than downstairs, AFTER we had blown insulation that number dropped to 4 degrees variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.