Wood Stove installation question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2008
ohio
Hello, I am looking to install my wood stove that I just purchased in a part of the basement that I am going to finish, my questions that I am having trouble finding the answers for is if I drill a hole in the concrete block foundation and run the pipe through the hole to the outside the pipe will be approximately 9in from the ground level, is that acceptable? Is there another way I can do this? I really have no way to run the pipe up through the house and out the roof, and also how far from ceilings and walls does triple wall pipe have to be? Can I run the pipe at an angle out the foundation? does it have to have a tee pipe section where it comes out of the foundation, and then goes up the side of the house?
Thanks

Maybe you could install a concrete pad just below where the pipe penetrates the wall. It would not need to be very big. FYI I have never been in this situation but it assume it would work. The pad probably could be as small as 24"x24", just a few bags of quickrete.

aussieblake

Thats a good idea, do you have to have tee pipe section on it when it comes out the foundation wall? or can you put a 90 degree elbow?

Yes do they sell class A pipe elbow? so I can run black stove pipe up to the elbow (which im hoping will be class A), then Class A pipe through the cinder block to a tee or another Class A elbow, and then up from there with class A pipe to the roof requirements. And is a tee required?

No 90 deg elbows are made. Just tees, 15 & 30 degree elbows are available. You'll need a tee at the base of the exterior flue.

Ok do they sell a double wall 90 elbow? How far from the ceiling does double wall have to be? does a double wall elbow (if available) adapt to a triple wall pipe? And is triple wall tee's available? What I am essentially trying to do is get as close to the ceiling as possible within code limits, so that when I go through the block to the outside I will be as far off the ground as possible.

You're in the same boat as me.
On the inside, double-wall must be 8" down from the ceiling.
On the outside you can use a tee support above the tee (upside down).
See page 18 here: http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/L150 Dec05.pdf
Or, if you're going through your roof eave, you can hang the chimney from a roof support.

And another question can I reduce my stove piping diameter from 8 to 6 and still be code?

Steven said:
And another question can I reduce my stove piping diameter from 8 to 6 and still be code?

I'm a newbie, but I sure wouldn't think so. Check your stove's instruction manual.

I can't it is an older metal stove it is made by cemi, it does not have a UL tag either.

Don't do it. They built it 8" for a reason, I imagine.
I searched for and read other posts here and all of them basically said no. Check 'em out.

yes I see what you mean about the reducer, but I am just curious why they make them and are they against code?, I have also read that the taller the chimney then a reducer would probably be ok. I am thinking I am going to have to get professional help.

Steven said:
I am thinking I am going to have to get professional help.
Me too. Not hearth-related, though. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.