Wood Stove or insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nal51511

Jun 24, 2015
CT
I just bought a new house and it has a wood stove in the kitchen and a fire place in the living room. I would like to use one or both of them to help heat the house which is a small 1300 sq foot house, its an older house built in the 50s with cinderblock walls on the original part of the house and stick frame on an addition which was added in the late 80s. We live in CT so we do experience winter. Since we have a fire place and a wood stove I am looking for recommendation to see if it makes more sense to replace the wood stove with a larger wood stove or replace the fire place with an insert or wood stove. the fire place has has pretty short chimney since the house is a ranch and has a pretty low roof line, the wood stove has a taller chimney since because that part of the house has a cathedral ceiling. I was thinking about possibly swapping out the wood stove for a Madison Englander stove or putting an Englander 13NC stove or insert where the fireplace is but am open to other stoves but am on a budget. Also the TV above the fire place will not be staying there. thanks for the help

Attachments

• Outline.jpg
    Outline.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 2015-07-06 18.40.24.jpg
    2015-07-06 18.40.24.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 2015-07-06 18.40.41.jpg
    2015-07-06 18.40.41.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 153
A modern stove to replace your present one would burn cleaner and use less fuel for a given amount of house heating. A fireplace is a decoration, not a heater. That fireplace opening looks small so it may be hard to find a stove that fits there with all the required clearances.

The small stove looks like a Jotul knock off. It wouldn't hurt to keep it if it is in good shape, inside and out. I would consider placing a larger rear-vent stove on the fireplace hearth if possible. The tv would need to be moved probably. What is the height of the fireplace opening to the lintel?

Begreen makes a good point. The Jotul knock off is probably a cool stove and the fireplace is the better location for a heater. That being said, for simplicity reasons you can replace the existing wood stove. Assuming the existing chimney and hearth are safe and operable, if you simply swap out the existing stove for a more efficient new unit, it's less expensive and simpler. If you choose to install a unit in the existing fireplace (seemingly the better location for heat) it will require a liner system as well as most likely some sort of ember protection in front of the raised hearth in addition to purchasing a new stove or insert. You also will need to move the TV.

So here's how I see it:

Option 1: replace existing wood stove. This requires and inspection of the chimney and hearth (which you should do anyway if you haven't already), removing and replacing the stove. You may be able to recoup some of the money spent on the new stove by selling the existing Jotul knock off.

Option 2: install an insert or rear venting stove in the fireplace and keep the existing wood stove. This requires purchasing an insert or rear venting stove and liner kit, installing the liner and unit, addressing the ember protection in front of the raised hearth (if necessary), moving the TV, and I would still have the chimney, hearth and stove checked out on the other side of the house before using that (or you can remove this unit and gain some square footage, and sell it for bonus cash). This is the better option in my opinion. It's just the more complicated and more expensive option. With this option you gain square footage, upgrade your fireplace to a heating monster and utilize the seemingly optimal heating location.

IMG_0153.jpgHere's a picture of my small living room with the TV offset from my insert. I didn't want to cook the TV above the fireplace, and honestly with a small living room this is a better height for the TV as well. We went with an insert to save square footage and it seemed to be the simplest installation option. I hope that's helpful!

I just bought a new house and it has a wood stove in the kitchen and a fire place in the living room. I would like to use one or both of them to help heat the house which is a small 1300 sq foot house, its an older house built in the 50s with cinderblock walls on the original part of the house and stick frame on an addition which was added in the late 80s. We live in CT so we do experience winter. Since we have a fire place and a wood stove I am looking for recommendation to see if it makes more sense to replace the wood stove with a larger wood stove or replace the fire place with an insert or wood stove. the fire place has has pretty short chimney since the house is a ranch and has a pretty low roof line, the wood stove has a taller chimney since because that part of the house has a cathedral ceiling. I was thinking about possibly swapping out the wood stove for a Madison Englander stove or putting an Englander 13NC stove or insert where the fireplace is but am open to other stoves but am on a budget. Also the TV above the fire place will not be staying there. thanks for the help

Which part of the house is cinder block, and which isn't?? Is the cinder block insulated on the inside of the walls? Block will suck up heat, and waste it, if not insulated.

Welcome to the forums !!

What ever happens, get your wood supply going now !!! You won't regret it !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.