wood stove temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
When is a stove too hot? I have temp device on pipe about a foot above stove top. And one on the stove top which at times hits 600. I then close the the little flap in the back to cool it down a bit.

What is too high, and what is ideal cruising temp for on the stove top?

Which stove do you have, specifically? Different stoves have different "over fire" temps as indicated by their respective manufacturer. While 600F may be near "over firing" one stove, it may be a good cruising temp for another. Let us know!

my DW stovetop temp is ok at 600... i try to keep it not much hotter, but..... yours should be ok too...

others with this stove might provide a different answer

A concern I have is that when the temp gets that high, the side handle to open / close the damper does not work. I try to turn it and nothing happens. It does not "engage". If I then close the little back flap, and the stove cools down, then the damper will work again. My VC store stove guy is researching this to see what he can find out. He was here last summer and said there seemed plenty of room and no warping visually (on a cold stove) as he turned the damper open and closed.

Any thoughts why I have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.