Wood stove's with modern style design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunfoolio

Mar 13, 2015
merrimac, ma
A friend of mine wants to get a wood stove as part of the renovation he is doing to the first floor of his house. The styling needs to be modern as opposed to a traditional design. In addition the area he is heating is large so it needs to be a big stove. Any suggestions on brands or models? I going to show him my Jotul Oslo F500 but it might have to much of a traditional look for him. The price of the stove will not be much of a factor. Thank you for your input in advance.

Some stoves to look at are the Pacific Energy Fusion or Neo 2.5, Regency Alterra CS2400, Osburn Matrix and Blaze King Chinook 30.

Do you know how large an area he will be heating? Is this for an open floor plan home or one with closed off rooms?

Thank you. Those are all nice looking stoves that should be the look he is after.

His house is about 3500sqft and so I guess the kitchen and family area is about1000sqft. Open concept and the house was built in the late 90's so the insulation should be pretty good.. A catalytic stove might be more then he wants to deal with. He likes to keep things simple.

If price is no object how about an efficient zero clearance fireplace such as the Pacific Energy FP30 or the KozyHeat Z42? They are about as efficient as a modern wood stove and some units can be ducted to deliver hot air to other parts of the house. In the long run, a nice looking fireplace will be positive for the home's value; a wood stove often not so much.

If a stove is preferred, take also a look at Obadiah Woodstoves. They sell some European brands like Fajardo which may appeal to your friend. Woodstock's Ideal Steel may be another modern looking stove although it is certainly not everyone's favorite design. However, it has a larger capacity than any of the other stoves mentioned and may do a better job of heating the whole house when the layout allows it.
A catalytic stove might be more then he wants to deal with. He likes to keep things simple.

The catalytic BlazeKing stoves are about as simple as it gets. Once the catalyst reaches its active temperature, close bypass, set thermostat to the desired setting and have constant heat for many hours without the need for further adjustment. Secondary burn stoves usually need somewhere between 10 to 30 minutes after loading when the air needs to be reduced manually until the final setting is reached.

Last edited:
Thank you. Those are all nice looking stoves that should be the look he is after.

His house is about 3500sqft and so I guess the kitchen and family area is about1000sqft. Open concept and the house was built in the late 90's so the insulation should be pretty good.. A catalytic stove might be more then he wants to deal with. He likes to keep things simple.

The stove might not heat the whole 3500 sq ft, especially during very cold weather, but it will make the kitchen/family area more cozy. All of these stoves want fully seasoned wood to provide the maximum efficiency and most heat. That can be a challenge the first year. They might consider buying cords of kiln dried wood for this season.

What price range is he looking for?

not to much a concern on price. Aproximate budget is 10K for hearth, stove, and chimney.

He is just looking for a large stove with a modern design.

Does he have any favorite(s) so far? And it is definitively a stove, not a ZC fireplace? I think a large, modern looking ZC fireplace will be easier to find than a stove.

Btw. Kind of modern-looking and a really large stove is the Regency F5100.

Last edited:
Modern design - clean lines, In my opinion for a large space take a look at the Blaze King - King stove, it has simple clean cut look to it, Also check out the Wood Stock ideal steel stove, those are the heavy hitters in the cat stove world.

Most of the modern designs are coming out of Europe. They make stoves as area heaters there and rarely make large stoves. When you look at large in the US they are mostly large, black boxes. The exception being soapstone stoves from Hearthstone and Woodstock, but their stoves are not contemporary designs. There is the eccentric Ideal Steel, but that is more of a steampunk hybrid than modern.

They might consider a wood furnace for the house if they want to heat 24/7 with wood and then put in a modern looking stove in the family area for ambiance and heating on milder days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.