Wood supply on hand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
This morning I finished stacking the wood that I cut this past winter. Basing on the amount of wood we used this past winter, I now know that we have a 7 year supply of cut, split and stacked wood on hand. That was my goal and finally reached this spring. One happy camper here.

Wow, 7 years is a good amount of wood. That would be 21 cords for me. How much did you end up burning this year with that new stove?

I am sitting on 1 nicely stacked cord, probably another 2 cord that I have to restack and unfortunately cut down cause its too big for the newer stove...and another cord that I need to split. That still leaves me 2 cord shy for next winter!!!

Todd, we burned less than 3 cords this past winter.

Well I see you you only burn 3 cord a year...do you heat 24/7 with wood? If you so that's pretty efficient operation you have going there.

When I 1st read your post I was thinking you had about 140FC stockpiled cause I thought Michigan got as cold or colder than CNY.

I think MI and central NY are pretty close in temperatures and winters in general. This past winter started wierd with cold followed by thawing. Then came late January, February and March. February especially was cold. We also had more snow than normal this year. Next year will probably be bare of snow (maybe).

As far as the efficient operation, I give the credit to the Woodstock Fireview stove. We've burned over 6 cord per winter in the past with about 5 1/2-6 cords being the normal. This year, less than 3. I gave a figure of 2.95 cords just a while ago but it will turn out just a tad less than that by the looks of things. We haven't had a fire going for some time now. Very unusual, but looks like the weekend and next week may change that. We won't worry though as we have plenty of wood on hand now.

Oh yes, we do burn 24/7 as this is our only source of heat.

4 cords of cedar slabs and 6 (soon to be 8) cords of fir and maple for next year. burned 6 cords of mixed cedar slabs and fir splits last year in my old smoke dragon. not sure how much I will burn in my new insert? will say though, that it does seem to give more heat for less wood consumed,even with softwood.

Burning in two stoves every day, pretty much all day (we're both retired), went through a full 7 cords (softwood) this season...and we're still burning (stuck in The Winter that Time Forgot). I've a cord of Juniper, about 2 1/2 cords of Lodgepole Pine all split and stacked, and I've got a mountain of about 9 cords of pine/larch/fir/juniper/whatever in various states of "splitness" waiting to be processed and stacked if the darned weather would finally give in and become pleasant. If this past season's any indication, I'd say my wood supply is a scant two year's worth. We'll see, but I'm taking no chances. Rick

Savage,
You really are a wood savage !
(I think you love cutting and splitting that wood !) ;-)

Naw- really, good for you. I think you might want to get started on that
next seven year supply. You don't want to get 'rusty', and you know you
can never have too much backup !

I'm happy if I can get two years ahead-
o' yea, those two truckloads are sitting out in my side yard now...
guess I better git busy.

Backwoods Savage said:
I think MI and central NY are pretty close in temperatures and winters in general. This past winter started wierd with cold followed by thawing. Then came late January, February and March. February especially was cold. We also had more snow than normal this year. Next year will probably be bare of snow (maybe).

As far as the efficient operation, I give the credit to the Woodstock Fireview stove. We've burned over 6 cord per winter in the past with about 5 1/2-6 cords being the normal. This year, less than 3. I gave a figure of 2.95 cords just a while ago but it will turn out just a tad less than that by the looks of things. We haven't had a fire going for some time now. Very unusual, but looks like the weekend and next week may change that. We won't worry though as we have plenty of wood on hand now.

Oh yes, we do burn 24/7 as this is our only source of heat.

Dennis: did I read somewhere about an escape to Arizona in the winter? hnm not that is showing that rhumetism, arthritious, etc all spelt wrong or course. but escaping, hmmmm ;-P

It's funny guys. Yesterday I took the wife for a ride on the atv so she could see all the flowers in the woods. Tons of buttercups and mayflowers with an occasional violet. May apples are also up nicely now. On the way in we passed a bunch of soft maple that are down (I dropped them for deer browse during the winter) and I had the darnest urge to go get the chain saw and start cutting again. Mentioned that to my wife and it didn't surprise her a bit!

Yes, those 5 winters we spent in Arizona were great. It was really something different as far as the weather and seeing flowers in January really seemed weird. In the 5 winters we spent, usually from December through April, there was only one day when we did not see sunshine. A couple more days when we saw little and even a couple nights below freezing. Overall though, the winters were warm and very sunny. That could grow on you, but now to make the trip might cause one to take out a second mortgage on the home to pay for all the gas getting there and back.

Almost done bucking up my second load of logs, first load split. After I split up this next load, I'll have 12-14 full cords stacked, which should get me through two seasons. Ahh, the old classic- she's ALWAYS hungry for more....

Brooktrout, you go through a pastel of wood! Well, it gives you a good workout along with keeping you warm. Bet you are happy you have that splitter too.

Status
Not open for further replies.