1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Bill, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    I logged this year and they left me the black cherry, I guess they didn't want it. Not sure how good it burns, but I am going to find out.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    One at a time

Attached Files:

3. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    Get ready

Attached Files:

4. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    This stump worries me, don't have a 24 inch bar. I would guess its at least 200 maybe 250 year old oak. Hate getting my bar jammed and stuck in the stump.

Attached Files:

5. Andre B.

Andre B. New Member

Burns fine, not a lot of heat compared to oak but enough to make it worth processing, especially if the hard part has already been done. ;)

But logs in the pic do not look like the black cherry I know.
    http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/trees/pruser_bark01.jpg

Looks hollow, bar only needs to get thru one side. You are not going to get the bar jammed in that.

But if you do be sure to take pictures. :)
  6. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    My bark is different, but mine is cherry and the bark is very unique looking. I just bought a book for keying down trees and have several that I don't know what they are. So I'll key it down, and take some pictures of the bark and the splits.

Got my field guide of North American trees and it's definitely not black cherry, nor is it chokecherry, Mahaleb Cherry, sweet cherry, sour cherry or pin cherry. So I don't know what it is other than the loggers told me it was cherry. The bark looks similar to flowering dogwood, very unusual looking bark. Reading over this book it's not going to be that easy to key trees down.

Might have the change the name of this topic to what kind of cherry is this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cherry

Check out this picture of black cherry bark, looks just like mine. I wonder if you grow trees in different regions if there are variations in the bark?
  7. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    That wood reminds me of sourwood.

Good looking wood for sure though.

Robbie
  8. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    Some more wood pictures, we talked about what kind of wood I had, and the guy that owns the mill, when he delivered the slab wood, told me it's black cherry. Even though it does not match whats in my tree id book. But he's the expert, so I don't doubt him. Enjoy the pictures.

Attached Files:

9. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    More wood

Attached Files:

10. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    A little more wood

Attached Files:

11. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    Yes, cherry! What kind is a differnt story. I have the same trees in my backyard. maybe wild cherry? Thats what I call it. see ya
  12. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    It's definitely cherry, I'm just not sure how many species/varieties there are. I get two kinds here: one looks like yours with scaly bark, grows like a weed all over including several behind my house. That kind gets tent caterpillars every year. The wood is not a deep red color, and the smell, while definitely cherry, isn't as strong or as nice as the other kind. The second kind has purple birch-like papery bark and a deeper red-brown color, and the wood smells stronger and better (just like black-cherry candy). So if I was naming trees, I'd call the first one "wild cherry", and the second one "black cherry". But it may be they're all really the same.
  13. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    These cherry trees only live about 50 years and don't get a very large diameter. That was my motive to have them cut down. Hope they smell nice when they burn.
  14. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    Both types of cherry I described smell like cherry incense when they burn, although with a good draft you don't really get to smell it.
  15. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    When I burn white birch I open the stove doors and fan it a little to get a puff of that sweet bark smell in the house.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.