Woodshed expanded

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edge-of-the-woods

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2014
Hamden, CT USA
Looks like we need more wood for the winter than we thought, so we doubled down and made a twin to the existing woodshed...bonus pic of the dog "helping".

IMG_6590.JPG IMG_6591.JPG IMG_6492.JPG

Looks nice! Pallets, genius! Thanks for the idea. I know what this weekend's project is gonna be!

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Cool! All the lumber except the roof sections was free, and it should allow good airflow around the stacks. I was able to stack two rows in each section, with 6" to 8" between them. The area of each ends up being 4x4x10, which is a little bigger than a cord each.

X2, great idea!!

I'll be going to Tractor Supply tonight to get more pallets to duplicate this weekend.

Nice job... I also plan to copy your idea.

Your Lab has a future in banking, looks like he's already a "branch manager" That is one of the most ingenious wood shed designs I've seen, good work.

Ha, thanks!

For the record, it's three pallets for the back, three for the base, one for each side. Where it was difficult to screw the pallets into one another (they don't always line up if they're not from the same batch), I used nail plates from Home Depot...just screwed through them and into the wood. Used the 90-degree ones to anchor the sides/back to the base as well.

I don't know if you can see it that well, but there's a cross-beam across the middle of it from side to side. So without the roof on, it would look like an "H" from above. That's to keep the sides from bowing out due to pressure from wood stacked against them on the inside. It's in the middle instead of right at the front edge so we don't crack our heads into it every time we go to get or stack wood.

The roof is 1/2" OSB. The pallet structure is 10' across, and the roof is 12', with a 1' overhang on each side. We got 4x8 sheets of OSB from Home Depot, and had them cut in half..then used three 4'x4' pieces mounted on 10' long 2x4's to make the roof portions. I would have rather used plywood but it was 3x as expensive. We'll see how this holds up.

I figured out that I could put a shingle roof on both for $90, but we're holding off on that for now. Just gonna use 3mil plastic sheet, stapled on, for this winter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...nized-Steel-Angle-A21Z/100375047?N=5yc1vZaqzs

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100375260-_-N

Seeing your lab makes me smile, I just put my Lab to sleep 6 weeks ago. I take pictures of all my outdoor projects at home and at my farm and I would bet he's in 90% of the pictures. If I'm sitting here, he was sitting here, if I'm mowing he's following 10 feet behind me, all day long.

Attachments

• Duke 2006.jpg
    Duke 2006.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 144
Seeing your lab makes me smile, I just put my Lab to sleep 6 weeks ago. I take pictures of all my outdoor projects at home and at my farm and I would bet he's in 90% of the pictures. If I'm sitting here, he was sitting here, if I'm mowing he's following 10 feet behind me, all day long.

Ooof, I'm so sorry. I've had to do that my own share of times, and it's the worst. Are you getting another pup? They are the best dogs.

I will eventually, I just need a break from taking care of geriatric pets. I hated to have to decide when it was time, and I waited a little too long with him.

I'd at least paint that OSB if you aren't going to put anything over it. OSB will deteriorate fast. I would expect 2 seasons max, probably less with your snow.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Status
Not open for further replies.