Woodstock Fairview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Woodstocks but I think in your climate and a home of your size the Fireview may come up a bit short.. The Progress would heat your home easily but you can't get one for a while.. This leads me to agree with Leavee about the Englander NC-30.. I have read many people here rave about them and apparently they come with a free blower now making it an even better deal.. I think they look pretty nice and are solidly built with good support and decent part prices that even go on sale.. If you like the looks of the NC-30 maybe you should consider them and take a ride and see one for yourself.. The PE Alderleas are nice heaters as well the Super series but the PE's are at least $1000.00 more.. From all the good things I read about the NC-30 here I would feel comfortable buying one and if you consider the NC-30 get the online manual to see what the hearth and clearance requirements are.. Any questions post away as there are plenty of knowledgeable people here.. Having met Dennis you know he is a straight shooter and a wealth of woodburning knowledge and all around good guy and he will give you solid advice..

Good luck,
Ray

I got to admit all you guys have impressed me with your wealth of knowledge and willingness to help others. Gotta wipe the brown off my nose op where good!
Actually I tried on my way home to look at the NC-30 and they are sold out at Lowe's and Home Depot, Menards only had Vogelzang and US Stove . I am planning to look again tomorrow Home Depot says they will have another shipment tomorrow morning however they didn't know if it would be Summers Heat or Englander. By the way aren't they the same brand?

Pete1983 said:
I got to admit all you guys have impressed me with your wealth of knowledge and willingness to help others. Gotta wipe the brown off my nose op where good!
Actually I tried on my way home to look at the NC-30 and they are sold out at Lowe's and Home Depot, Menards only had Vogelzang and US Stove . I am planning to look again tomorrow Home Depot says they will have another shipment tomorrow morning however they didn't know if it would be Summers Heat or Englander. By the way aren't they the same brand?

Home Depot is Englander and Lowes is Summers Heat, yes they are the same company..

Ray

One thing I didn't see...is there anything you can do to "undrafty" the house? Insulation, plastic sheeting, caulk...you know...seal the drafties.

agartner
I go through and re-caulk the windows and doors every year we also insulated the attic space above our dining room. due to someone else recommendation BeGreen I think we are actually having a contractor come out and give an estimate on blow in insulation between the lath and outer walls. I like the term undrafty I may steal that lol.

Pete1983 said:
We will most likely end up with the blaze king this weekend which makes me happy and sad . I am not knocking blaze king but we just love the soap stone stoves.

With the burn times you get from a Blaze King, I don't think you'll be sad for long. It's a good choice and will work well for you.

Pete1983 said:
agartner
I go through and re-caulk the windows and doors every year we also insulated the attic space above our dining room. due to someone else recommendation BeGreen I think we are actually having a contractor come out and give an estimate on blow in insulation between the lath and outer walls. I like the term undrafty I may steal that lol.

I'm with you. I need to undrafty the hell out of this place. Hard to do with stone walls.

Looks aside, availability aside, youll end up with a nice stove. I think that once you get the cat stove in your hands youll be wondering why you didnt pitch the dead stove sooner.

Good luck

Yeah, you could do worse than a BK. The Princess was on my short list. I'm sure you'll love it. . .once you've written the check. :) If your place is that drafty, maybe think about the BK King. . .8" flue though. OTOH, after the Durango, you'd probably be very impressed with the Englander 30, and might live happily ever after with the $2500 you save. . .or swap it for a cat stove in due time. :cheese: The more I think about it, the more I like Bill's plan. It's always nice to get touchy-feely with something in the store before buying, but ordering online from HD = free delivery, and you might find better pricing by plugging in random zip codes.

Undrafty is nice!

Pete, if you want to look at another dealer there is a fellow in Harrison who carries many different brands.

Dennis I will be ordering/picking this weekend hopefully but I wouldnt mind another price comparison. Do you have there address or website?
Thanks pete

Thats a really good idea den i am going to do that right now! Thanks

Backwoods Savage
That place looks like heaven I could live there forever! i am taking a day vacation just to go there and bask in the glory of wood stoves ( on my day off of course ) :lol:

Hopefully the last question ? What kindo of burn times are you getting on the NC-30 ? I may have just found a whopper of a deal on one!
Englander NC-30 499 with blower ding box at hd it has an ash pan as well as gold trim. There is a minor 2 inch scratch on the top and thats it!
Thanks
Pete

Pete1983 said:
Hopefully the last question ? What kindo of burn times are you getting on the NC-30 ? I may have just found a whopper of a deal on one!
Englander NC-30 499 with blower ding box at hd it has an ash pan as well as gold trim. There is a minor 2 inch scratch on the top and thats it!
Thanks
Pete

You need to RUN - not walk and buy that stove NOW!!!!!!!!! We all thought last Spring that the $649 price with no blower was a steal, but $499 with a blower - BUY IT NOW!!!!

As far as burn times - we are still new with our 30, but have easily got 9 hrs with larger splits. I read 8 plus hours are not common from load to reload. Hopefully BrotherBart, Pen and some others will chime-in.

Again - $499 with blower is a teriffic price. The fix on the scratch is black stove paint - easy. My guess you can use the stove and sell it for a profit later - a year or two later if you choose to do so.

Good luck,
Bill

Pete1983 said:
Thanks
Pete

Hell run like hell and get it now!

Ray

I'd jUmp on that NC-30! Not 100% sure, but I think it'll go 10-12 hours, 'cause it'll hold that much wood. If you want an answer from an NC-30 owner, start another thread, but I'd buy that stove n0w!

Den said:
I'd jUmp on that NC-30! Not 100% sure, but I think it'll go 10-12 hours, 'cause it'll hold that much wood. If you want an answer from an NC-30 owner, start another thread, but I'd buy that stove n0w!

+1000!! That's a fantastic deal especially in December!!

Ray

Pete1983 said:
Thanks
Pete

Holy crap, that's cheap. As others have said; run, don't walk, to that deal.

10-12 hours of usable heat is an accurate estimate.

BUT, if money isn't a big hurdle, and you really want the long burns, I would still go with the BlazeKing. It will give you a lot more flexibility and it will give you longer burns than the 30NC.

p.s. Stove sales are seasonal. You could easily save $500 on a BK by waiting until spring to buy it, if you must have a cat stove, which would be understandable. :) Don't let the low low price fool you, the 30 is a solid performer. . .this will not be Viggelzizzle Part II. Buy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.