Woodstock new stove pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Sorry folks but I have no idea why the pictures from the older post do not show. Then I found my account had somehow got goofed up so here are a few of the pictures we took when we visited the Woodstock factory. This was in early September at their annual bbq. We were also lucky to meet with a few of the good folks from hearth.com while there.

btw, I must add that my wife and I were treated absolutely fantastic during our stay and I hope to some day return there. We met some wonderful folks and now understand why Woodstock is such a great company; they simply have great people working there.

For those who may not know, the new stove was still in R & D during our visit so you won't yet see the finished product. The pictures are in no certain order.

This is control central for the new stove.
ControlCentral-2.gif

Frankenstove-4-2.gif

Frankenstove-7-2.gif

Frankenstove-5-2.gif

Frankenstove-3-2.gif

Frankenstove-1-2.gif

Newstove-10.gif

Here are a few others we took. The first one is some of the hearth.com folks.

Hearthdotcomfolks-3.gif

Mike H talking to customers.
MikeHmakingasale.gif

Vaughn, Lorin, Mike, yours truly and my wife.
Vaughn-Lorin-Mike-Dennis-Judy.gif

At the end of the party. Most of the crowd had already left. They were full of good food, good beer or other drinks and some even had full vehicles loaded with new stoves.
GroupphotoatWoodstock.gif

These are by no means all the pictures we took but gives you a good sampling. My apologies if I left out a few pictures, especially of some of the hearth.com folks.

Someone should tell them that the PVC and wires do not seem to meet safe clearances. Also, that isn't an approved hearth pad. :)

Thanks Dennis!!! And nice to put a face to you also!

I think that stove is in their mortgage burning video. I was looking at that stove while watching the video and wondering what the heck it was.

When I first saw this thread I got all excited thinking it was something new since there hasn't been any updates in awhile. :-S

Maybe it's time for an update Woodstock? Enquiring minds want to know!

BrowningBAR said:
Also, that isn't an approved hearth pad. :)

What, a scale doesn't count as a non-combustible surface anymore? What is the world coming to....

I should have added names for the one picture where all are holding onto a Super Cedar.

From left to right: Slow1, Craig Issod, Tony and his son TJ, and yours truly.

Todd said:
UPDATE!!! Woodstock just udated it's blog with some new pictures of the stove. I like the looks so far and the ash pan option and easy access of the cat is a good thing. No mention of a thermostat.

http://woodstocksoapstoneco.blogspot.com/

Looks like they plan to put stone on the loading door - very interesting....

[edit] Ashpan? Who needs an ashpan???

"Check back for pictures of the "no ashpan" model, which is designed to sit down lower for restrictive fireplace installations."

I wonder if this also means that clearances on this stove will be smaller in comparison to their other models?

BrowningBAR said:
"Check back for pictures of the "no ashpan" model, which is designed to sit down lower for restrictive fireplace installations."

I wonder if this also means that clearances on this stove will be smaller in comparison to their other models?

I sure hope so. Of all the things that make the Fireview hard to adopt the clearance requirements are perhaps the most difficult to work with in my opinion. However, the stone is essentially a radiant style heater (I can't see putting a jacket around it to make it a convection heater) so I'm not sure how much can be done there. Hot stone is going to radiate and I suspect that just results in clearance space... however perhaps they can somehow insulate the back to bring it closer to the back wall at least - for example I wonder what that slanted burn tube arrangement (and the space behind it) does to the rear temps of the stove. Then going with the vertical flue must help reduce rear clearances I would think.. but I'm just making optimistic guesses.

Then again, on the self centered side of things I'm just looking for the overall clearance footprint of the new stove to not be much larger than the Fireview. My hearth pad is larger than the FV required and I exceeded minimum clearances on my install, but I wonder if I have enough wiggle room to "drop in" the new stove... Having to build a new pad would be a pretty serious impediment for getting the new stove in my house. IF they up the requirements for hearth protection then that too could be a problem for the same reason.

But those renderings of the new stove sure are pretty...

Slow1 said:
BrowningBAR said:

I sure hope so. Of all the things that make the Fireview hard to adopt the clearance requirements are perhaps the most difficult to work with in my opinion. However, the stone is essentially a radiant style heater (I can't see putting a jacket around it to make it a convection heater) so I'm not sure how much can be done there. Hot stone is going to radiate and I suspect that just results in clearance space... however perhaps they can somehow insulate the back to bring it closer to the back wall at least - for example I wonder what that slanted burn tube arrangement (and the space behind it) does to the rear temps of the stove. Then going with the vertical flue must help reduce rear clearances I would think.. but I'm just making optimistic guesses.

Then again, on the self centered side of things I'm just looking for the overall clearance footprint of the new stove to not be much larger than the Fireview. My hearth pad is larger than the FV required and I exceeded minimum clearances on my install, but I wonder if I have enough wiggle room to "drop in" the new stove... Having to build a new pad would be a pretty serious impediment for getting the new stove in my house. IF they up the requirements for hearth protection then that too could be a problem for the same reason.

But those renderings of the new stove sure are pretty...

Heritage rear clearances is 16"
Fireview rear clearances is 30"

The Heritage with rear heat shield is 7".
The Fireview with rear heat shield is 18"

That is a huge difference.

Last I heard was the clearances would be similar to the other stoves, but you still have that short 8" front clearance that kind a makes up for the larger rear clearance. The Keystone rear clearance is a few inches less at 14.5" than the Fireview 18", maybe the top vent will help keep the hearth requirements smaller?

Ash pan feature is a good thing imo, I love the Keystone ash pan, much easier and cleaner than shoveling out the Fireview.

BrowningBAR said:
Slow1 said:
I sure hope so. Of all the things that make the Fireview hard to adopt the clearance requirements are perhaps the most difficult to work with in my opinion. However, the stone is essentially a radiant style heater (I can't see putting a jacket around it to make it a convection heater) so I'm not sure how much can be done there. Hot stone is going to radiate and I suspect that just results in clearance space... however perhaps they can somehow insulate the back to bring it closer to the back wall at least ...

Good data - so there is hope at least! one has to assume that the laws of physics applies the same to all eh? :)

Slow1 said:
BrowningBAR said:
Slow1 said:
I sure hope so. Of all the things that make the Fireview hard to adopt the clearance requirements are perhaps the most difficult to work with in my opinion. However, the stone is essentially a radiant style heater (I can't see putting a jacket around it to make it a convection heater) so I'm not sure how much can be done there. Hot stone is going to radiate and I suspect that just results in clearance space... however perhaps they can somehow insulate the back to bring it closer to the back wall at least ...

Good data - so there is hope at least! one has to assume that the laws of physics applies the same to all eh? :)

I hope. Down the road it would be nice to be able to upgrade to the larger Woodstock for flexibility and put the heritage where the Vigilant is. But I can't have a stove sticking out an additional foot.

render+dec5+G.jpg

Wow, I love it! Much less victorian looking. I have nothing against the victorian stuff myself, but it's definitely not for everyone so I had wondered why they didn't offer something that would go a little more with traditional or modern settings.

Can't wait to hear more about this one in the future!

Hey, what happened to the new stove blog Woodstock? They gave us a quick tease then pulled it.

Yikers. Wonder if they will ask us to pull the pic linked above?!

Does She have a name yet? looks quite nice. Parents have an Alaska coal burner with soapstone, loved the heat and looks of it, just cant afford, yet.

tickbitty said:
Yikers. Wonder if they will ask us to pull the pic linked above?!

It's back up.

Interesting. Only downside I see to this new stove is it might be too big for my small (1400ft) house!

The fireview was a bit ornate for my tastes but I actually kind of like Victorian look in general... Goes better with an old house than a steel box.

Thanks for the pics, B. W. Savage. I was always on the fence about soapstone, like the traditional cast iron look better but this new model is defiantly making me consider.

So let me understand this right... this hybrid can work either as a catalytic stove or secondary burn for long term either way? Or could be 'switched' frequently with no ill effect?

Thanks for the pictures Dennis.
When I was there last March they said they might put a peace of glass so you could view the cat.
Any more talk of that?

Looks nice. It might be cheaper to add a second stove to upgrade the insulation at my house.

I like that stove! What is meant by a "Solidworks" only stove? Anyone know the dimensions/firebox size? From what I read it just says bigger than the others...meaning what??

Status
Not open for further replies.