Woodstock new stove pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
Thanks for the pics, B. W. Savage. I was always on the fence about soapstone, like the traditional cast iron look better but this new model is defiantly making me consider.

So let me understand this right... this hybrid can work either as a catalytic stove or secondary burn for long term either way? Or could be 'switched' frequently with no ill effect?

From the Woodstock blog...

The inside design is completely different from what we have done before as a result of one of our primary goals: MAXIMIZE efficiency and MINIMIZE emissions.
The new stove is truly a "hybrid" in the sense that it has a fully developed "secondary" burn plan and a catalytic combustor. Why both? Non-catalytic designs tend not to work very well (1) with wet wood, (2) for very long burns at LOW firing rates, (3) with inexperienced operators (i.e. those who don't get the secondaries lit after a cold start or after re-fueling), or (4) over a very broad range of operating conditions. They are not so good at low burns, very effective at moderate burns, and reasonably effective (to a point) at high burns. The hybrid has a greater range of output, greater efficiency, and is cleaner. Plus it cleans up carbon monoxide, methane and other combustion by-products - not things we are being graded on by the EPA (yet) but things that matter because they INCREASE efficiency and DECREASE pollution, which we do care about.

tickbitty said:
render+dec5+G.jpg

Wow, I love it! Much less victorian looking. I have nothing against the victorian stuff myself, but it's definitely not for everyone so I had wondered why they didn't offer something that would go a little more with traditional or modern settings.

Can't wait to hear more about this one in the future!

The blog is back!

Ah, frickin' aye! Santa has been good this year. I wished for an update last night, and here it is. Even better than a pony!

Note on that illustration from Woodstock:

These are Solidworks models only. The cast iron frame will have more detail than shown in these models but not as much ornamentation as the Fireview.

Solidworks is probably computer modeling software--so this is only a simulation of the final product, with some detail missing.

I like the bigger size, big window, angled secondary burn plate for flame display, and hybrid thermal-cat technology. If it performs as well as it looks, I have a delightfully difficult purchasing decision ahead, between this and a King. Life is good!

Thanks Backwoods for reposting the photos. It's fun seeing you and Woodstock.

Backwoods Savage said:
I should have added names for the one picture where all are holding onto a Super Cedar.

From left to right: Slow1, Craig Issod, Tony and his son TJ, and yours truly.

Thanks Backwoods,

FYI, you can add stuff to your original post by clicking the "edit" button on it.

Slow1 said:
BrowningBAR said:
"Check back for pictures of the "no ashpan" model, which is designed to sit down lower for restrictive fireplace installations."

I wonder if this also means that clearances on this stove will be smaller in comparison to their other models?

however perhaps they can somehow insulate the back to bring it closer to the back wall at least

Agreed that reduced clearances would be nice--I was surprised at how big the Fireview's are. The test for clearances is standardized, and involves moving a test surface back from the stove until its cool enough.

Edit: Highbeam pointed out this is because of the reversible flue. Point taken--the Fireview's rear clearances are similar to the reversible-flue Hearthstone Phoenix.

But when push comes to shove, if the stove is right for me, I'll work with the clearances.

I don't like it yet, maybe after they finish up the details. It looks like they smashed a heritage and a fireview together. The big window, stone side door, and non-cat of the heritage along with the 8 sided fireview and cat. But then sprinkled in the reversible flue of the keystone which means that cat access will be fairly miserable unlike the fireview with its excellent lid arrangement.

The reversable flue arrangement almost guarantees a huge rear clearance requirement. This woodstock "feature" is not due to the stone construction since my fully stone heritage can sit 7" from the wall.

Time will tell how the non-cat hybrid will work. Might be excellent and use the best of each technology or might be crap by using the worst parts of each tech like complicated operations mixed with no low burn from the non-cat system. I'm anxious to see the user's reports. I suspect that the two technologies will be integrated so you won't switch between them but rather the primary air setting will feed the non-cat system at higher settings.

Keep your fingers crossed for a large firebox and a stat. Without them, the BK will still be far superior in utility.

freeburn said:
What is meant by a "Solidworks" only stove?

"Solidworks" is a 3-D CAD program that was used to make a mock-up of the new stove.

I really like the look of this new stove. Hope the real world performance (90K+ BTUs, 90%+ efficient) ends up matching the promises made. The bar would definitely be raised for the rest of the industry.

Slow1 said:
I wonder if I have enough wiggle room to "drop in" the new stove...

I hope so too. If not, the easiest solution would be to put some 1" space metal shields in front of the combustibles within minimum clearance. Corrugated metal is surprisingly attractive, and can be painted with a suitable hi-temp paint, to match decor. HTH.

Highbeam said:
I don't like it yet, maybe after they finish up the details. It looks like they smashed a heritage and a fireview together. The big window, stone side door, and non-cat of the heritage along with the 8 sided fireview and cat. But then sprinkled in the reversible flue of the keystone which means that cat access will be fairly miserable unlike the fireview with its excellent lid arrangement.

The reversable flue arrangement almost guarantees a huge rear clearance requirement. This woodstock "feature" is not due to the stone construction since my fully stone heritage can sit 7" from the wall.

Time will tell how the non-cat hybrid will work. Might be excellent and use the best of each technology or might be crap by using the worst parts of each tech like complicated operations mixed with no low burn from the non-cat system. I'm anxious to see the user's reports. I suspect that the two technologies will be integrated so you won't switch between them but rather the primary air setting will feed the non-cat system at higher settings.

Keep your fingers crossed for a large firebox and a stat. Without them, the BK will still be far superior in utility.

The new stove will have a similar top lid for easy cat access and I don't see how a reversible flue guarantees a huge rear clearance when the Keystones rear clearance is less than the Fireview which has a rear exhaust. The short 8" front clearance makes up for it some as well.

I agree with the thermostat control and waiting to hear back on that question.

Just think how complicated this stove will be for Dennis! :lol:

Todd said:
[snip] thanks for the info!

+1,000,000 A thermostat would be fantastic.

Who are you waiting on? Did you email Woodstock?

Stump_Branch said:
Does She have a name yet? looks quite nice. Parents have an Alaska coal burner with soapstone, loved the heat and looks of it, just cant afford, yet.

No name yet. Woodstock is open for suggestions on the name if you care to give it a shot. You can post right here on the forum as they do look at the forum from time to time. I will even let them know about this thread so go ahead and throw out a name or two or three.

Todd said:
Highbeam said:

The new stove will have a similar top lid for easy cat access and I don't see how a reversible flue guarantees a huge rear clearance when the Keystones rear clearance is less than the Fireview which has a rear exhaust. The short 8" front clearance makes up for it some as well.

Just think how complicated this stove will be for Dennis! :lol:

Gee Todd, I expected that from Highbeam rather than you. :lol:

Highbeam said:
Time will tell how the non-cat hybrid will work. Might be excellent and use the best of each technology or might be crap by using the worst parts of each tech like complicated operations mixed with no low burn from the non-cat system. I'm anxious to see the user's reports. I suspect that the two technologies will be integrated so you won't switch between them but rather the primary air setting will feed the non-cat system at higher settings..

I suspect that it may be simpler than we think. Just have the burn tubes and the catalyst always engaged. On high air the burn tubes would probably burn off most of the emissions just leaving hot gas flowing through the catalyst. As you turn down the air to the point the secondaries go out you are smoldering but the cat is still engaged and burning the smoke off.

Give it a nice porceleon finish and that is a finen looking stove.

Bill

No name yet. Woodstock is open for suggestions on the name if you care to give it a shot. You can post right here on the forum as they do look at the forum from time to time. I will even let them know about this thread so go ahead and throw out a name or two or three.

Firecat.

Many more to come...

That is a nice looking stove!

Nice Solidworks rendering.....

Wow . . . if I wasn't so in love with my Oslo I would give some serious thought to throwing over my Oslo and having a fling with this new stove.

It has almost everything I would want in a stove.

Clean looking design -- not too fancy, but not too plain. Much less ornate than the Fireview.
Decent size.
Right or left door.
Top or rear vent.
Ash pan.
Cat or secondary combustion.

Shoot, the only thing I could have added to my ultimate stove dream list would be a front door that opens to allow easier cleaning.

Unlike High Beam . . . I really liked the look and mash-up since it took everything I liked about the Heritage's look and mixed it with the Fireview . . . did I mention how much I love the look of this stove . . . I really must arrange a trip to Woodstock this Summer.

The heck with the name, how do I get on the Beta Tester program?

agartner, we already threw that idea at them but they wouldn't buy it.

Woodstock says they are experimenting with a couple different ideas regarding air control (aka thermostat) and should post it soon.

Todd said:
Woodstock says they are experimenting with a couple different ideas regarding air control (aka thermostat) and should post it soon.

:wow: :cheese:

No frickin' way!

There really is a Santa Claus??!!

Battle of the Titans--Blaze King versus Woodstock!

"Release the Kracken!!!"

(another name suggestion)

Heheh. Easy, George. The new stove will be large for a Woodstock, but not jumb0. The BKK is still going to be ~ 50% larger. Hard to compete with that for the heavyweight title. . .even if the Woody is heavier.

my old lady is going to hate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.