Woodstock's New Stove - Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
OK, on my list of woodstoves to buy for my upcoming basement/den install is the new Woodstock combo cat/secondary burn stove, in addition to a few other make and models.

Being a Woodstock Keystone owner, one of the things I really like about this stove is the cat combustor vs. the secondary tube non-cat arrangement. I feel both are great ends to a clean burn, but I read a goodly amount of postings, especially with the Englander NC30, of overheating stoves at times on reload. Knock on wood; I can load my Keystone at 500 degrees stove top with zero problems with run-away temperatures. I don’t know why I haven’t sent the stove top over 700 degrees, but the stove just seems to max out at 650ish temps and gradually cools to 500-600 temps and cruises. I load the stove, wait a few minutes, set the damper and get on with other things. It may be that the firebox is just to small in capacity to off-gas enough smoke to overfire the stove.

This brings me to the new Woodstock hybrid stove.

How controllable do you think this new stove will be on hot reloads with both the cat and secondary tube set-up (I assume that is how it will be done). Will the stove be controllable like my Keystone or can I expect to babysit it for an hour before it settles into cruise mode?

What I wish Woodstock would do is simply scale-up the Keystone. The Keystone has a large glass window, top/rear vent, ash pan, cat combustor and a really nice modern look to it. It is also dead simple to operate, minimal parts, gaskets, linkages, etc. If Woodstock did a scale-up on the Keystone, I’d be on the pre-order list ASAP.

So based on your experiences with cat stoves and non-cat stoves, how to you think this new stove is going to operate and if it will behave differently from today’s designs.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Bill

I doubt there will be big differences in how this stove works compared to the other Woodstock stoves but that remains to be seen. Rather than guessing, I'd rather just wait to see what the Woodstock folks have to say about it. One thing I am wondering about is the time needed and temperature needed before engaging the cat. Will it be different with the new cats? We do already know the new cats do not need as high of a temperature to engage but what about this new stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.