Woodstove/Pellet Stove for a family in need.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
I was cruising the craig's list for deals like I sometimes do when I'm bored. Anyway, I stumbled onto this ad: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/wan/116608138.html

I live pretty close to philly, and I instantly knew I had to do something. I'm still not sure what it will be yet, but I've got some ideas. Anyway, moving along to those ideas. Later on this evening, after I study for an exam, I'm going to write a few letters to the major manufacturers asking for help. I have a feeling that these pleas will fall on deaf ears, since we already know they're all on major backorders trying to keep with the demand. The chances of them donating a stove to the cause is pretty unlikely at this point. Then I thought of taking up a donation here and other places, while also doing some sort of fundraisers around, trying to scrounge up the money necessary. Maybe, I thought, I might be able to convince one of the major manufacturers to match whatever we're able to raise and then we can put that towards a stove.

BUT, I know it's christmas time, and a lot of people are already tapped out. Granted, no one should be too tapped out to help a family in need, BUT i understand. I might only be 20, and I might be a college student, but when a grown man with a wife and five kids has to put out a plea for help, its just hard to stomach.

So I've arrived at the following plan so far; if anyone has a suggestion, wants to donate money, WHATEVER, contact me on here, via email, via cell phone and let me know. IT's the christmas season and WE need to help this family in need.

There is a Vigilant Coal stove for sale in Rosemont on ebay. I'm going to try and win the auction and purchase the stove for my family, and then load up their dutchwest and bring it to this family. I know my stove isn't brand new, but it's 100% safe, has a blower, heat shields, and all the parts for burning coal. When I emailed a picture and a description of the stove to the family, they said it would be lovely. I would just outright buy them that Vigilant, but they can't/don't (want to) burn coal.

So basically, at this point, barring a better idea, I'm going to try and raise some money to offset the cost of this vigilant. Or, if that falls through, I'm going to continue to keep my ear to the ground in hopes of another deal.

My email is:
[email protected]
Cell Phone: 610-322-1290

Agreed, I understant that you always have to be careful who you're dealing with. The situation is that, the husband, has access to free firewood, and I'm not sure how much coal goes for around here, but it probably wouldn't be much of a help in reducing costs.

Corie said:
I was cruising the craig's list for deals like I sometimes do when I'm bored. Anyway, I stumbled onto this ad: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/wan/116608138.html

So basically, at this point, barring a better idea, I'm going to try and raise some money to offset the cost of this vigilant. Or, if that falls through, I'm going to continue to keep my ear to the ground in hopes of another deal.

My email is:
[email protected]
Cell Phone: 610-322-1290

Corie, VC has offered us a free stove and there are other possible avenues. HearthNet is glad to help in many ways...BUT, the most important thing is the family and their setup.

Is there any way you can visit, meet the family and look at where the stove would go? Then we can determine if they need chimney, liner, etc. etc.....

I'm a philly boy, so I'd be glad to travel to VC and then bring stove down, etc.

The most important thing is vetting the recipient and also the installation...

With all the crap I see on the net, this is a breath of fresh air.
You're a good person for thinking of others and putting the word out.
Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Webmaster said:
Corie, VC has offered us a free stove and there are other possible avenues. HearthNet is glad to help in many ways...BUT, the most important thing is the family and their setup.

Is there any way you can visit, meet the family and look at where the stove would go? Then we can determine if they need chimney, liner, etc. etc.....

I'm a philly boy, so I'd be glad to travel to VC and then bring stove down, etc.

The most important thing is vetting the recipient and also the installation...

I'll absolutely visit the family one day this week. If they do also need a chimney or liner, is it also possible to provide this? I'll keep you posted as to when I visit.

Elk and I spoke on the phone and he had a dealer in mind that might donate a stove. I guess it'll come down to me being able to check the house. The installation might be a problem- Of course I'd be able to do it, but I'm not a certified installer......

I'll keep everyone posted.

Corie

Craig we had a poster here that is in the same boat Verynice girl, Single mother, husband gone, trying to make ends meet with 3 children. Trying to make do with 1980 Sears stove that looks like it could use work Lives in Plymouth MA. I put her up to the Dutchwest post hoping you would come to the same conclusion I did. Anyway I just gave away the last used stove Fisher Baby
bear. Again there was an element of need plus an upgrade of safety. Maybe I can come up with some more 4 given away this year.
I know where I can get a 1998 VC Defiant used one season $300 to $350 Hunter green Needs gasketing and Lid area is broken where the handle attaches Probably could weld something. Also replace the combuster. The reason I have not already picked it up Oval flue to 8"

Corie the entire situation concerning the install would have to scoped out plus verify the wood supply. If you can scope it out I would make a call to VC Any dealers near Philly have decent used wood stoves to donate, Willing to help out with the install, Posters near by keep in touch. we just might need help.

ok

I sent an email to the family, I'll let everyone know. I hope they're comfortable letting someone they don't know from Adam into their home.

Frank,

Without trying to come off as overly religious, I'm going to say only this: What I believe tells me that doing the right thing is the most important thing we can do from day to day. Just like giving a 20 to a bum who you suspect is going to spend it on crack. It doesn't matter, and a person shouldn't pass judgement.

I'm going to go to their house, scout it out. If it seems they are genuinely in need, I will do my best to help them. If I get there, and there is a mercedes in the driveway and a big screen in the living room, I would obviously try to find a more deserving candidate.

Frank Ivy said:
No good deed goes upunished - nor will this one.

I don't mind coming accross as a cold hearted guy.

An important point of view, for certain. At first glance this seems like someone who is a hard worker and just possibly falling into the cracks because of energy prices.

I do agree on the kids, but the largest religion in America says to have as many as "just happen to pop out" or something like that.

Yes, the most important thing with these situations is to suss them out.

Back when I was a working carpenter, with two kids, I was surely working from week to week. I remember working hard for years and saving and all I had was $3,000...better than some, but surely not enough (no health care either).

Perhaps the people are in need or want of friendly help - and remember, they are going to do all the work (burning wood), so it's not the typical type of "lazy" charity were the receiver does not have to participate. This is more like Habitat, which I think is a reasonable model for charity.

Just told my wife to give a bunch of $$ away before the end of the year (I've actually been too cheap on charity the last couple years)...hope it doesn't upset Frankie ;-)

Oh, and yes, HearthNet can help if it needs liner or something like that.

Frank Ivy said:
Good post Craig.

I have no issue with charity. In fact, I think we need much more of it.

But I'll note it again, to make sure that nobody here forgets that I'm a bastard.

But when it comes to many of the "poor" in this country, I'd start my charity with the following advice . . .

Stop stuffing food in your face if you're fat.
The food you must eat, make healthy.
Get rid of your cell phone and your cable/dish. If you're poor, you can't afford either.
Don't smoke or drink - they cost a bunch, and they'll bleed you dry.
Don't own or play and video games.
Don't own or play any MP3 player/DVD player/ and so on.
Don't own expensive clothes.
Don't own jewelry.

When they have got these basic things down and they are still hurting, I love to help.

But to help a fat man who drinks and sits on his ass all day playing x-box by giving him things is to not help him at all.

You are, in effect, cursing him to continue his slovenly ways.

Well, the new 10 commandments! We heard them right here....
Actually, although I typically phrase things with more honey on them, I could not agree with you more!

I worked at a non-profit that will remain fairly nameless except that it was a boys and girls club. I procured computers, digital cameras, even a check for $1,000 from the Woz (yes, direct from Woz - had a good email chat with him!)......

But, one day I was taking pictures for a web site that I was doing for them and I had to ask the young girls to put their cell phones down and take the jewelry off!

Make no mistake about it, these people needed the help and needed good examples. Unfortunately, they didn't get much of it since the staff seemed to make away with a lot of the $$$.

It's that old story......give a man some fish, you'll have to continue to give it, but teach a man to fish and perhaps he has learned something....

Attachments

• wozcheck.jpg
    wozcheck.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 530
Yeah, I'm hard hearted too. When I replace this stove in a couple years, if it's still servicable, I'll try to findn a new owner for it. Probly someone who is old andd has rotten kids who aren't willing to help them out. But I don't give money to bums. YEah I said bums. not homeless people. They are bums. They are homeless because they are bums. I'm speaking in broad generalizations. I Know that there are many of the homeless who are drug addicted or mentally ill and there are actually some who are just down on their luck. but most get there because they systimatically make very ad decisions. I feel for the kids. Just like I feel for the kids when I drive by the trailer parks on Jeff Davis highway here in Richmond. Being poof sucks. Been there, done that. Hope I won't do it again. Iit really sucks. If you stiill have the stomach for it, help them out. If it wasn't for people who can't seem to manage their own money, I'd hardly have anyone to rent to.

Frank Ivy said:
Um.

Craig Issod - "I worked at a non-profit that will remain fairly nameless except that it was a boys and girls club."

Um.

Um.

The name of the charity is Afri-male.

Mr. Frank, I was being funny....

The name was BOTH the boys and girls club and afri-male!
Some good intentions, but some bad execution!

However, after leaving there I worked for a Jesuit who runs an amazing operation in camden (murder capital of the usa)....
BUT, the entire theme of the place is "learning how to learn" and Father Jeff is very good at business and technology. For instance, he had an after school program, and you were not allowed to show up late. He simply locked the door at 4:00!

Check it out - it is a really good org. He landed in Camden, lives among the regular folks and actually went to hang with the gangs on the corner and asked them "Hey, anyone want to learn how to make web pages or do photoshop?". Some of the youth that I taught and now teachers there and I guarantee will be successful in life. Of course, there were some sad stories also. A lot of it seemed to come down to whether the parents pushed the kids toward good things.

Anyway, http://www.hopeworks.org

(Ha Ha, I was just at the site and one of the rotating pics show the back of my bald head.....pointing to a computer)...

Truly poor people work hard, do what they have to do to keep the kids warm and fed, may or may not be fat, or may or may not know how to cook food that isn't already prepared and frozen in a box, but either way they feed themselves. They cherish what possessions they have, mostly because they know how hard they were to acquire. And, they do not accept charity under any circumstances because they firmly believe that Fate helps those that help themselves. Most of the truly poor people that I know would not accept the gift of a wood stove anyway. They would work and slave and figure out how to purchase their own, and/or make do with what they have.

The people that some of you speak of, the ones that don't work, lay around playing video games, accept handouts whenever one comes along, are not poor people. Those are lazy people.

quads said:
Truly poor people work hard, do what they have to do to keep the kids warm and fed, may or may not be fat, or may or may not know how to cook food that isn't already prepared and frozen in a box, but either way they feed themselves. They cherish what possessions they have, mostly because they know how hard they were to acquire. And, they do not accept charity under any circumstances because they firmly believe that God helps those that help themselves. Most of the truly poor people that I know would not accept the gift of a wood stove anyway. They would work and slave and figure out how to purchase their own, and/or make do with what they have.

The people that some of you speak of, the ones that don't work, lay around playing video games, accept handouts whenever one comes along, are not poor people. Those are lazy people.

Wow! How come every conversation here ends up debating the meaning of life?
What if poor people don't beleive in G_d. My research shows they believe in the state lottery to a much larger extent (grin)...

Now, we have to add some people to Franks Ten Commandments, but I think I will lose all my readers:

1. People who keep refinancing their houses so they can get spending money for consumer goods in that way...and at the same time actually reducing their net worth and savings for the future.
2. People who inherit a lot of "free" money and don't use either the money or some of their time to help others....

Perhaps some people have time to eat organic food, run marathons, have personal trainers and pay for Gold's Gym. Others have to work two or three jobs and then attempt to take care of the home front.

So, you can be "poor" in more ways than one! In some ways, the happiest time in my life was when all I had was some spare change - "When you ain't got nothing, you ain't got nothing to lose".....

One thing for sure - anyone who reads this thread won't accept a stove! But back to the subject at hand - people are poor for lots of reasons. I, and perhaps Frank and others here, had some "luck" (or karma) by birth and perhaps by other methods. Our parents and a few generations behind them worked hard to build up their businesses or education.

Poverty is too complicated a subject to vet here. For instance, there is a relationship between mental illness and poverty (of course)....then there is climate (Africa) or destruction (Iraq) and on and on....

Webmaster said:
My research shows they believe in the state lottery to a much larger extent (grin)...

Yes, I believe nowadays you are correct.

G_d, Fate, Kharma, call it whatever you like, it still has the same meaning. It's not about how much others can help you, it's about how much you can help yourself so others don't have to.

Ok, I had planned to link the family to this thread, but that is absolutely out of the question now. No big deal, but once I start a new thread, can we please please please keep it clean so that I can show the family that I am genuine in my efforts and not just some joe smoe looking to rob them.

I think telling them that I needed to drop by and take a look at what they need made them apprehensive, as they haven't answered my email.

I could be wrong though, we'll see.

Sorry Corie, I won't say (type) a word! Promise. It's just that when I saw somebody commenting about how poor people should look, what they should eat, how many kids they should have, what size their TV should be.......... I mean, I agree with some of it to an extent, but who are we to judge as long as the guy bought it himself? Maybe being fat is all he has in life?

Missed in all this is still a chance to better a situation of one of our own posters Verynycegirl. Mother of 3 using an old Sears vintage stove and no hubby to help. Ihave had a good e-mail response and continue to do so. I would scope out the situation
want to run it through HEarthnet like I started back in early OCt
and I do not know if she is Fat

elkimmeg said:
Missed in all this is still a chance to better a situation of one of our own posters Verynycegirl. Mother of 3 using an old Sears vintage stove and no hubby to help. Ihave had a good e-mail response and continue to do so. I would scope out the situation
want to run it through HEarthnet like I started back in early OCt
and I do not know if she is Fat

An excellent idea! Sounds like she could use a stove upgrade. Doesn't matter what she looks like, or how good of a cook she is. My point exactly.

Do you want me to post the private e-mails? If it is ok with her, then I have no problem of going back. if I have
not deleted them, and cut and paste them here. Btw I get 4 or more private e-mails a day with people asking questions or seeking advice generated by forum topics. One of them today. Do you think I should get a permit?

Hey elkimmeg,

Just for the record....although I'm not sure if it really matter's....but nope ...I'm not fat. Still here reading everyone's messages daily and continuing to learn more each day about using my woodstove. :)

Tracy

How is the stove working for you Tracy?

Hi BrotherBart,

Well, It's the middle of Dec and I still have not used an ounce of oil! It may be old....but atleast it still works! I personally was amazed how a family in need found be picky on the type of fuel they would want to burn. Bottom line... if you don't have money for oil or gas you burn what you can get your hands on. I'll never forget the stories my grandpa use to tell me about how his dad as a child would burn the woodwork in their house just to keep their family warm!! You do what you gotta do to keep your family warm!!

Tracy

On more than one wood poor cold night my wife has caught me looking at her antique furniture with a "hungry eye".

She just points at my wooden gunning duck decoy collection and grins. Kinda like "Go ahead. Make my day."

Status
Not open for further replies.