Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Face cords, not full cords... 60 face cord is 20 cord. He'd have to give his breakdown of what he burns, but if I recall correctly he typically burns about 12 face cord of pine per season (4 cord) and I don't recall how much hardwood...
Yes, that’s why I did the math from 60 face cords to 20 cords, as I posted originally.

Just stocking up to season then. I’m currently in the same boat.

Reactions: stoveliker
I think you told me before but is most your firewood oak?
In the shed there are 7 rows of wood, 10’ long, about 5’ tall each. Historically, I usually am primarily oak, with a health dose of Shagbark and Bradford Pear.

Oak is plentiful here and I can usually get what I need by knocking on doors after a storm. We are more likely to lose trees in the summer storms than winter weather.

The two center rows are still holding a lot of oak after this year. And there is a loose pile of oak and ash I cut earlier this year out there.

So, typically, yes. I’d have mostly oak. Right now, I’d say oak is the 40-45% of my stash between the shed and the loose pile.

These pics are for reference. Right now, the stacks are pulled down quite a bit. See the color difference in the pic of the side of the shed. Thats 3 year old hickory under fresh pine and pear. I burned the pine and pear but never got into the hickory.
IMG_9321.jpeg
IMG_9320.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I took this hung up beech down, yesterday I used a throw rope along with another rope so I could get a few tree savers hooked up around it, I thought I took a picture yesterday but nope. I did tug on it yesterday but it was pretty solid.

This morning I cleaned up the plug on the pole saw and then put some chainsaw gas & chain oil in it, it started up so up to the beech I went. I hooked the winch back up to the tree savers and put some tension on it so the beech rolled some toward the rhino.

I was able to weaken the beech enough with the pole saw at full extension from the opposite side so I could pull it down. The stump section is still up but the rest of the rounds are home at the splitting area.

104_4481.JPG

104_4639.JPG

104_4640.JPG

104_4641.JPG

104_4642.JPG

104_4643.JPG

Between driving kids to baseball, library, and other activities this weekend, I wheelbarrowed the 8 yards of mulch that was delivered Friday end of the day over the yard. All uphill...
It was very wet, so very heavy...

I'm pooped but the driveway is clean again.

Last edited:
Done for the burning season for me. Cleaned the stove and chimney and got it all ready for next year. Burned around 1.5 cords. 90% 4 year oak with some 3 year cherry mixed in. A bit surprised what came out of the chimney….or lack there of. used a soot eater kit on a cordless drill. Very simple.

IMG_0396.jpeg

IMG_0400.jpeg

IMG_0401.jpeg

IMG_0407.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0409.jpeg

IMG_0406.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

Last edited:
I took another beech from the same are the hung up beech was in, this ones top started heading in the wrong direction. I put a tree saver on it and then hooked up the cable to that so I could pull it over some smaller hemlocks without damaging them, it worked out perfect.

I would like another face cord out of the pile of beech at the splitting area but I don't think there's enough. In picture 4654 you can see we have some clouds but just east of where I took the picture was all clear.

104_4646.JPG

104_4648.JPG

104_4650.JPG

104_4652.JPG

104_4653.JPG

104_4654.JPG

104_4655.JPG

104_4656.JPG

104_4657.JPG

Had some leftover materials from building the Frankenstein Shed, so I decided to put a roof on one of the other wood bins. It is basically 3 pallets nailed together with pallets for sides and separator. The back was strips of lumber nailed to vertical posts attached to the pallets. Now I have a mini-shed. Figuring it will hold about a cord. Since the roof is cobbled together pieces of shipping crates a $10 Tarp from Harbor Freight is providing protection from the rain.

bin.jpeg

Had some leftover materials from building the Frankenstein Shed, so I decided to put a roof on one of the other wood bins. It is basically 3 pallets nailed together with pallets for sides and separator. The back was strips of lumber nailed to vertical posts attached to the pallets. Now I have a mini-shed. Figuring it will hold about a cord. Since the roof is cobbled together pieces of shipping crates a $10 Tarp from Harbor Freight is providing protection from the rain.

View attachment 326559
Whats the plastic for on top of the stacks? incase the tarp leaks?

Whats the plastic for on top of the stacks? incase the tarp leaks?
The Plastic is what was covering the wood before the roof was put on. I finished this during lunch and had to get back to work, so cleaning up the odds and ends will happen later today. Those are Dollar Store shower curtains. On my bigger shed, I actually have those as an layer between the roof and tarp as my tarp was a few inches short. so they cover the exposed wood and handle any rain that might blow underneath the tarp.

After an earlier appointment today, I decided that parts of the yard would get raked with all the pine needles going on a trail that hasn't been done in about three years. It was raining so I never took the camera.

That'll make for some nice firewood, how long will it take before it's seasoned?
Probably at least 2 years. I’ll check it to see it’s probably progress after 18 months. I estimate 2-3 cords in this tree but we’ll see could be a little more. Definitely a big tree. I got almost a half in just some of the branches

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nice, should split pretty easily. Looks like someone's saw needs sharpening. Seeing a bunch of crooked cuts.

It wasn't raining that hard until I had the tub half full of pine needles on the second load, then I got soaked. With the loads of pine I did yesterday, that makes a total of four maybe five on that trail in the picture. I would like another four or five loads of pine needles with leaves on it before I start c/s/s again.

104_4674.JPG

104_4675.JPG

104_4677.JPG

Nice, should split pretty easily. Looks like someone's saw needs sharpening. Seeing a bunch of crooked cuts.
They wedged a hunch of sections in parts to drop it. The base wasn’t dropped on a. Clean cut. It was very crooked and the chain he was using seemed very dull. My saw went through it like a hot knife through butter. There were a bunch of pieces that I had to cut off that were ant infested that made for a handful of odd looking slant cuts. I also cut all the knots/knobs flush with the tree length wise

Last edited:
Reactions: bigealta
Built this mostly with stuff laying around from previous projects. I plan on adding something on the sides eventually, maybe spaced out boards from pallets or something like that and will leave the front and back open. This will hold a little bit more than a full cord. Now I have to finish splitting some red oak I have to fill it.

IMG_1936.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

Looks good!
I'd put some roof mastic (or silicone, or an aluminum drip edge) over those nails at the top.

Reactions: Dajolu
Got my first delivery of logs for this year from my local tree service company. Estimate this to be about a cord or so of ash. I’ll css over the next few weeks and put in the 2 year storage area. A little rot in that front log to deal with but everything else looks good.

IMG_6777.jpeg

I had planned on another three loads of dead grass, pine needles with leaves today but after I was almost done filling the tub with the first load, the winds really picked up. I finished filling up the first load and then dumped everything on the trail I'm working on.

Picture 4677 is where I left off yesterday, 4678 is a picture not far from the trail I'm working on, I also grabbed the rubber tire chock block before I headed up the hill, 4679 is before I dumped the load by the small birch and picture 4680 is after.

104_4677.JPG

104_4678.JPG

104_4679.JPG

104_4680.JPG

Split a little more of the oak up and stacked it. Did as much as I can get with the axe and maul. Going to have to make some starter wedges with the saw and then they’ll go no problem but wasn’t doing that today.

Fortunately this tree did not come down on its own, and im surprised it didn’t. 85% of the center of the tree and the stump is all punk. I’ll see how far up it tracks as I split it but I think it’s mostly down low.

IMG_0451.jpeg

IMG_0452.jpeg

IMG_0453.jpeg

Last edited:
Spent a few hours this morning helping a neighbor cleanup after some storm damage. He had a dead ash tree that got knocked over into a creek bed. He’s not a wood burner so I was able to clean it up and haul away the wood. Maybe about 1/2 cord or so.
Was hoping to spend the afternoon working on moving my back yard wood pile around to get ready for this season of wood deliveries. It just got too wet and windy so will likely finish that up tomorrow.

I got the wood itch. My space is filled but I found a scrounge of red oak nearby. So we (my parents are over ,so my 80 year old dad and me) went and got some rounds in two loads. Cut it smaller, split it, and delivered 6 wheelbarrows full (as in loosing pieces) to my elderly neighbors.

My dad still burns with wood, cuts his logs and splits them with a 5 ton small electric hydraulic splitter, but when I was pushing the wheelbarrow to the neighbors he took my x-27 and split some here by hand. Of course it was oak, so easy, but it's good to see he can still do it. He also carried rounds into my car.