Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Very nice job @Gearhead660 , what types of firewood will you fill it with?
Got some oak and locust left from a late summer score.
Work Done in 2022

With possible rain and some ice forecast for Thursday, we started putting in more Ash today, two smaller loads.

We'll get two more good size loads in before Thursday but first we'll put the snowmobiles away before the warmer weather and rain hits.

Got the wood shed filled back up that I have been using this season, and was thinking of what to do with the rest that I got split. Why not build another wood shed! Gathered all the materials I needed from the shop to build one. All I needed to buy was one piece of roofing. Started with a heavy duty pallet I got from work. 5'x9', holds just shy of 2 cord.
View attachment 292035View attachment 292036
Well, now it's full. Need to figure out what to do with the rest. Got 1-2 cords left to split and stack.
Work Done in 2022

I spent some time with the shovel and tractor today, with the warmer weather and rain coming in I moved some piles of snow with the tractor and then made sure that any water that might sit around the basement wall will run away from it. A few of the downspouts had some extensions put on that will help.

With heavy rain coming in and possibly 5-8 inches of snow on the way, probably won’t make it out to the timber this weekend but hopefully soon.

With the melting and rain, the driveway is all ice. I hooked the trailer up to the rhino so I could get a whole bunch of ashes from spring burning in the outside fireplace on the driveway, after that was done I used some sand from our property and did a section and then some Quikrete tube sand sand on the rest of the driveway.

We'll see if the snow we get will add some traction, even if it does we'll put the 3 point sander on the Mahindra 4540 tomorrow, that will put down a good amount of sand in the areas that need it the most real quick.

Hahah - I keep reading all your posts about processing wood, and finally decided I'd contribute. All I've been doing is processing snow. It has been a record year for snowfall thus far in my neck of the woods. Truly incredible.

Work Done in 2022

For reference, this is the same stack of wood in a different season:
Work Done in 2022

Holy Moses, it's gonna be July before all the snow melts.

Since we might get 0.50 to 1.00 inches of rain Tuesday even through Wednesday night, we put in a few smaller loads of ash.

The winds along with the melting have put down some smaller stuff that the deer are eating and the smaller trees coming up through the snow the deer are after so we have a bunch of deer eating around the house.

I also moved some slush out of the natural drain with the 4540 today.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

Wow, all that snow. It hit 85 here today, but thankfully it’s not the beginning of summer yet. It should cool off again on Wednesday. My husband and I have been cutting firewood and lopping and piling brush the last few weekends. Today we hauled our wood chipper to that side of the property and made mulch. We put some in a wheelbarrow to go around some young pomegranates near our driveway where we need additional weed suppression. The rest we just left in a pile atop some old palm tree trunks (they would not make good firewood for our stove!). We’ll let the mulch sit here and add to it (there’s more firewood and brush to process), and then we’ll draw upon it for the garden or landscaping as necessary.

Work Done in 2022

Reactions: Solarguy3500
Wow, all that snow. It hit 85 here today, but thankfully it’s not the beginning of summer yet. It should cool off again on Wednesday. My husband and I have been cutting firewood and lopping and piling brush the last few weekends. Today we hauled our wood chipper to that side of the property and made mulch. We put some in a wheelbarrow to go around some young pomegranates near our driveway where we need additional weed suppression. The rest we just left in a pile atop some old palm tree trunks (they would not make good firewood for our stove!). We’ll let the mulch sit here and add to it (there’s more firewood and brush to process), and then we’ll draw upon it for the garden or landscaping as necessary.

View attachment 292483
The mulch will deplete the nitrogen. If your tree is young it may be a bad idea for its health. It will for sure work for weed suppression alternatively.

Really liking the new saw. Cuts through like butter. I even stopped a few times to make sure the wood wasn't rotten or soft - no it was all sound and hard as a rock. Even got the smaller saw out to confirm - yup hard dry and tough going. The see through one - think it looks dangerous? Huh, and that one is more alive than any other, except for the inside. (I paced it off and it seems to be over 100ft tall, 4ft dia, and the deacay goes up inside 10ft or more, and all but 6" or so around the perimeter. Wierd).

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

Last edited:
Hahah - I keep reading all your posts about processing wood, and finally decided I'd contribute. All I've been doing is processing snow. It has been a record year for snowfall thus far in my neck of the woods. Truly incredible.

View attachment 292471

For reference, this is the same stack of wood in a different season:
View attachment 292472

Holy Moses, it's gonna be July before all the snow melts.
Stop hogging all of the snow . . . and send it this way please. It looks like mid- to late-Spring around my place and unless something changes soon there will be no more local riding from my house.

Stop hogging all of the snow . . . and send it this way please. It looks like mid- to late-Spring around my place and unless something changes soon there will be no more local riding from my house.
Accu is calling for a total of 8-12 inches of snow with most of it coming on Friday for our area. We don't have much left and with the heavier rains moving in, we'll lose most of what we have.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Right now noaa has us down as "unknown precipitation". In other words, snow sleet ice pellets rain thunder and lightning. And we have extreme drought conditions.

I was just going through some pictures of some trees that I'll need to c/s/s this spring and summer, I'm thinking with the winds we've had lately, there will be more damage.

Picture 1764 is two maples, 1775 bigtooth aspen,2236 is a dead ash I just noticed last year, 2627 & 2628 are wind damaged beech, 2642 & 2643 are two more wind damaged beech.

We have a bunch of ash on the hill in the back on the house property that will come down so hopefully mother nature opens up the hills early so I can get busy. If the hills open up then the bigger beech in pictures 2627 & 28 will be first. If I can get 12 face cord c/s/s before summer hits, that will be good.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

Right now noaa has us down as "unknown precipitation". In other words, snow sleet ice pellets rain thunder and lightning. And we have extreme drought conditions.
I hope the thunder and lightning don't happen.

Oh you can have it sir. I love the winter - it is my favourite season second only to autumn, but even I have reached my threshold at this point. If I didn't have to move the snow, that would be a bit different, but keeping the laneway open and the decks clear and the roof from getting overloaded is full-time work right now.

Also - I literally have no space to process wood even if I wanted to. My whole processing area is a giant mountain of snow, and my driveway has shrunk by about half, so even if I start to get the itch (which I likely will as soon as the weather turns), it will be some time before I can test-drive shoulder v. 2.0 on the saw etc. I'm going to have to wait for some serious melting before I'll have any room to get down to it!

The mulch will deplete the nitrogen. If your tree is young it may be a bad idea for its health. It will for sure work for weed suppression alternatively.
Thanks for the warning. I do from time to time put compost and some natural feed like cottonseed meal or alfalfa around the trunks of the pomegranates to help keep them nourished. Our native soil is very poor, and nutrients leach very quickly. They are still young trees, but the mulch will go a bit further away from the trunks. It sort of serves as the ground covering in a patch of ground between the base of our driveway and the back fence where I have been battling some weeds.

We do use a lot of mulch down here, even in our garden beds, though we try to keep it only on top of the soil, not mixed in precisely because it will tie up nitrogen. We have to use it to help keep in water in our dry climate, especially as we’re once again in a drought, and it looks like it will worsen this spring and summer.

Oh you can have it sir. I love the winter - it is my favourite season second only to autumn, but even I have reached my threshold at this point. If I didn't have to move the snow, that would be a bit different, but keeping the laneway open and the decks clear and the roof from getting overloaded is full-time work right now.

Also - I literally have no space to process wood even if I wanted to. My whole processing area is a giant mountain of snow, and my driveway has shrunk by about half, so even if I start to get the itch (which I likely will as soon as the weather turns), it will be some time before I can test-drive shoulder v. 2.0 on the saw etc. I'm going to have to wait for some serious melting before I'll have any room to get down to it!
@MissMac how's your shoulder holding up with having to move all that snow around? My shoulder hurts just thinking about shoveling that much snow.

After getting quite a bit of snow here last winter, this winter has been pretty light so far with snow, but that could change on Friday with a storm predicted to drop 8"-12".

Reactions: thewoodlands
@MissMac how's your shoulder holding up with having to move all that snow around? My shoulder hurts just thinking about shoveling that much snow.

After getting quite a bit of snow here last winter, this winter has been pretty light so far with snow, but that could change on Friday with a storm predicted to drop 8"-12".
Shoulder is coming along really well, thanks for asking :)

It gets tired more easily, and will ache after repetitive movement, but it is greatly improved since pre-surgery and already I can tell that the surgery was a success. Really looking forward to dabbling in the firewood this summer though, to see how much stamina and rebound I've got now. Will definitely be taking it slow and cautious though.

It looks like many have been staying busy with the winter weather. Other than just filling the garage back up no processing firewood for me. Just working a lot with the winds and ice we keep getting. We did have a few days in the 50's but that just made everything a muddy mess.

Since the winds might gust at 45 mph, we decided that we would put in two loads of ash and more ironwood.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

Since the winds might gust at 45 mph, we decided that we would put in two loads of ash and more ironwood.

View attachment 292784 View attachment 292785
It seems you always have some outdoor work to keep you busy. Looks like a great way to do things, especially on your own property. What is model side by side do you use? Is the cab enclosed and is it suitable/capable of plowing?