Worst woodstove still in use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would would say you are the winner, but that guy on that youtube video davesfarm that appeared here eailer in the year would be a close second. :gulp:

All kidding aside- I hope that you plan to scrap that POS and get something safer. In addition to potential CO problems, house fires, etc- allowing cold air in through cracks may cool the exhaust by dilution and lead to more creosote than even the old smokers normally produced. Don't want any chimney fires!

chimneyfire.jpg

That stove is a heap. Get it outta your house.

Adios, is that your chimney ablaze?

Adios Pantalones said:
Sure- next firing is in December-

PARTY :cheese:

Make sure there are plenty of happy dancing hippies bouncing around.

hahaha wow that's a "nice " stove you got there. i think the only way to beat that is to just light a fire in the middle of your living room and catch the smoke with a vacuum cleaner :p i think the vacuum cleaner hose is class A 8-/

wood stoves are for heating purposes.... i would think that stove serves it's purpose.... albeit a little shoddy, and a potential fire hazard... but it does what you need it to do...right?

AP has chimney fires on purpose. Please don't try this at home. Rick

Well, that pic has convinced me to raise my asking price for my 1985 pe pacific to 400 from 300. Less than 50 cords burned and not a fire trap like that piece of crap :cheese:

Well I was a bit surprised that not a single other member stepped up to compete. Perhaps some of us are reluctant to admit to having a bad stove, but one could always post pictures of coworkers' or friends' substandard stoves.

I will be replacing the old junker this fall. I currently have a second hand Hearthstone II which will receive new rear and side inner cast iron panels, baffle and other miscellaneous parts, then go into service.

The old stove is a homebuilt I assume, as there's no nameplates or logos on it. It will soon be on its way to China to be turned into even worse crap than it is now.

It will soon be on its way to China to be turned into even worse crap than it is now.

Isnt that the truth!! Maybe you should keep it the way it is now. It is probably safer than when it comes back from China!!! It will probably come back as some sort of metal babys toy that is covered in lead paint.

firefighterjake said:
Nah . . . that stove looks fine . . . just put a little bit of black stove paint on 'er and wad a ball of tinfoil in place that the flame is blowing out in the side and you'll be all set to fire 'er off again . . . just give me about 5 minutes to contact your local fire department and get them heading your way. :) ;)
Actually, I missed this call, but heard all about it last year. Guys in my hometown were called out to the Unity Plantation for a possible structure fire.
Arrived to find smoke in the building . . . guy had a woodstove going with a horizontal chimney pipe running from one room to another room (passing through a wall with no pass through protection) before running out the exterior wall (again no pass through protection). At that point the pipe (still regular old stove pipe) took a 90 degree bend and went up for a few feet . . . of course it was minimally supported . . . by a floor jack with a 2 x 4 running from the jack to the bottom of the elbow.
To make a long story short the guys determined that there was a fire in the exterior wall (surprise, surprise) and were about to make a few small entry points to search for the fire when the home owner took charge by firing up his chainsaw and cutting out a huge section of the wall of his house. After that the guys put the fire out . . . and left before the home owner could do any more damage.

Hey, another DARWIN AWARD for the "homeowner " ( sic ). We can assume ( ASS U ME ) that the gibone did not shut off power before cutting ? Oh yes, and no PPE ? According to our state Fire Marshal, this should be a doozie for you Smokies. Good luck. You guys have a tough grind ahead this year.

You could fix that up with some duct tape..............

Status
Not open for further replies.