Would a 2004 P68 be reliable to buy used??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bjb4d5

Dec 16, 2019
Kansas
I have been actively looking for a harman and debated back and forth about buying new, or saving money and buying used. I'm looking for other opinions if I should just bite the bullet and spend the money for a new Harman or try one that is used? This particular stove that I am looking at is a 2004 Harman P68. Its for sale for $1500. The last thing I want is something that will be a headache in my basement (I will be using it only for supplemental heat, and not for total home heat). It is a well maintained stove, but are the P68's as bullet proof as people say?? Thank you.

I have been actively looking for a harman and debated back and forth about buying new, or saving money and buying used. I'm looking for other opinions if I should just bite the bullet and spend the money for a new Harman or try one that is used? This particular stove that I am looking at is a 2004 Harman P68. Its for sale for $1500. The last thing I want is something that will be a headache in my basement (I will be using it only for supplemental heat, and not for total home heat). It is a well maintained stove, but are the P68's as bullet proof as people say?? Thank you.

The Harman P series stoves are incredibly robust. If both the blowers sound good and the stove is not a rust bucket from living in a very wet environment it ought to be a good investment. All parts you might eventually need are readily available from multiple sources.

Hugh

I bet if you think about it too long, your mind will be made up for you! Most used P68's around here are still in the $2200-$2500 range, the lower priced ones are hit & miss, but you have to jump on them when they are first listed.

Well, she said she will take $1200 for it. It's fully functional. 2004, so it's 16 years old. Seems like a good deal from what I have researched. This stove will have all the same auto start, thermostat, circuit board as the more modern ones, right? (excluding the new touch screen models). Please let me know your opinions. Was about to spend in the $4500 range for a new xxvi, and I just think this would be a better fit. (I should have said earlier 3200 square feet and installing in a basement)

do you have help to load it? ;)

Well, she said she will take $1200 for it. It's fully functional. 2004, so it's 16 years old. Seems like a good deal from what I have researched. This stove will have all the same auto start, thermostat, circuit board as the more modern ones, right? (excluding the new touch screen models). Please let me know your opinions. Was about to spend in the $4500 range for a new xxvi, and I just think this would be a better fit. (I should have said earlier 3200 square feet and installing in a basement)

Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jump on it! Very easy to service. It has the same features as the new stoves. Im not sure that the Pseries have touch screen? 3 knob is better anyway