Would like to hear from Napoleon 1402 owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Aug 8, 2011
Jersey Shore
I have read many positive reviews on-line. Now I'd like to hear from people I trust here on Hearth.com. Any information will be appreciated!

Here's a link that I found while searching for Napoleon 1402 in the Titles only box found towards the top of the page.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/48474/

There are others there as well. Perhaps even searching for the 1450 would be helpful as I believe they have the same firebox just one is an insert and the other is freestanding.

Welcome to the forum.

pen

I own the 1450 model for the back half of the house and ir works great. It easily heats 1500-1750 sq feet. A full load of logs in the firebox of mixed soft and hardwoods will last about 6-7 hours. We did purchase the optional blower and would recommend it for the colder days. It is well made and has served us well. If you any other specific questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks Pen, I did a search the other day but I do not remember seeing the thread in your link. Were close to pulling the trigger on this model so I'm looking to dot my i's and cross my t's.

Hey Uncle,

Welcome to the forum. I researched the 1402 in great detail and found that it is well loved. I found the best price on the web www.dynamitebuys.com with great customer service.

I ended up getting an Osburn 2400 which is a larger insert for only a couple bucks more. I like the extra firebox space. However, I am certain that the 1402 would have gotten the job done just fine. Hope that helps.

What's the square footage of the space your looking to heat, and how well insulated?

Its a 2000 Square foot, 200 year old house that has undergone many renovations. I bought this place last year and the insulation is not good. The framing is hand sawed oak in excellent condition. I actually found a section of old mud and horse hair insulation when I replaced some windows. It does have fiberglass insulation as well. The attic is insulated pretty well. It also has the old rolled glass windows that are nice to look at but are drafty. The previous owners put glass storm winows and they help a little.

The size of my fireplace is 43 wide, 31 high and 14 deep. My local dealer told me he carries the Napoleon 1402 or the Hearthstone Clydesdale. I am leaning towards the 1402 because of the price and also the positive reviews I read online. But I am open to suggestions.

Uncle said:
Its a 2000 Square foot, 200 year old house that has undergone many renovations. I bought this place last year and the insulation is not good. The framing is hand sawed oak in excellent condition. I actually found a section of old mud and horse hair insulation when I replaced some windows. It does have fiberglass insulation as well. The attic is insulated pretty well. It also has the old rolled glass windows that are nice to look at but are drafty. The previous owners put glass storm winows and they help a little.

The size of my fireplace is 43 wide, 31 high and 14 deep. My local dealer told me he carries the Napoleon 1402 or the Hearthstone Clydesdale. I am leaning towards the 1402 because of the price and also the positive reviews I read online. But I am open to suggestions.

Your first paragraph indicates that neither stove will give you whole house heat. My farmhouse has many of the same drafty 'features' as yours and I am at 2250 sq ft. I am also assuming the layout is not nearly as open as a modern home.

I am guessing you have more than one chimney. Plan on using them if you really hope to heat solely with wood. If you are only looking to supplement the heat with a stove, either stove is a fine choice and will keep the room it is in nice and warm.

2000 sf in jersey you may want to go little bigger than the 1402. The biggest limitation to going bigger is going to be the depth of your fireplace. The 1402 will put out some real good heat for you, but you may want to look into a larger firebox. Drafty old houses are tough. Good luck with it!

DaFattKidd said:
2000 sf in jersey you may want to go little bigger than the 1402. The biggest limitation to going bigger is going to be the depth of your fireplace. The 1402 will put out some real good heat for you, but you may want to look into a larger firebox. Drafty old houses are tough. Good luck with it!

My gigantic wood stacks agree.

The layout is not open but the room with the fireplace has a double door leading to the next room and another single doorway leading to another room. Right past the single door there is an intake for the central A/C. I wonder if that will be enough to circulate warm air through the house?

I do have another chimney but that is used for the oil fired boiler. Last year I had an Energy Kinetics System 2000 installed and it claimed to save you 40% on your oil use. I read all the rave reviews online and went for it. But I still went through 800 gallons keeping the heat on 67 degrees 24/7.

Uncle said:
The layout is not open but the room with the fireplace has a double door leading to the next room and another single doorway leading to another room. Right past the single door there is an intake for the central A/C. I wonder if that will be enough to circulate warm air through the house?

I do have another chimney but that is used for the oil fired boiler. Last year I had an Energy Kinetics System 2000 installed and it claimed to save you 40% on your oil use. I read all the rave reviews online and went for it. But I still went through 800 gallons keeping the heat on 67 degrees 24/7.

That's not bad.

Still, you can not expect either insert to give you whole house heating based on your conditions. I would go larger to give you longer burn times and more heat. And even then, you probably will not have whole house heating due to the layout and the draftiness.

Satisfied with my stove. Good middle of the road type of stove. 2.25 is a good size firebox. My next stove,,whenever that may be,,will have a bigger firebox. On a scale of 1 to 10..I would give it a 8.5.,,,,happy stove shopping,,,,,,

I have read many positive reviews on-line. Now I'd like to hear from people I trust here on Hearth.com. Any information will be appreciated!
Love the stove, lots of heat...

Gets kind of scary when you load it up for the night, I always push the damper in all the way, burning seasoned oak and hickory,wake up a few hours later to a glowing red intern inside the box (very hot), top shows 600➕ .

My concern is how do you choke it down to control a possible chimney fire if one occurs?

Love the stove, lots of heat...

Gets kind of scary when you load it up for the night, I always push the damper in all the way, burning seasoned oak and hickory,wake up a few hours later to a glowing red intern inside the box (very hot), top shows 600➕ .

My concern is how do you choke it down to control a possible chimney fire if one occurs?

You don't . . . but when the stove is cool it may behoove you to find out where the incoming air is coming from. On my stove the incoming air comes through a port in the back. There have only been a couple of times when the fire was going a little too strong for my tastes (not over firing, but getting close . . . and no chimney fires ever) . . . knowing where this port was and being able to cover it up with some folded up aluminum foil helped control things and bring the fire under control.

You don't . . . but when the stove is cool it may behoove you to find out where the incoming air is coming from. On my stove the incoming air comes through a port in the back. There have only been a couple of times when the fire was going a little too strong for my tastes (not over firing, but getting close . . . and no chimney fires ever) . . . knowing where this port was and being able to cover it up with some folded up aluminum foil helped control things and bring the fire under control.

That would be impossible for me, I would have to remove the stove and get to the bottom side which is where the intake is on my model. Maybe this spring...

As far as a chimney fire, I got up on the roof to look into my pipe, had very little buildup(mostly ash) after the first rick and a half of wood. The cap had some creosote buildup, but it looks like it dries out very nicely and flakes off where you touch it (tried to ignite a hand full with a torch and it never caught), I am using an insulated titanium flex pipe.

My house is approximately 1500 sqft. and I only heat with wood (I'm just an old fashion country boy), temp always hovers around 75 degrees in the back of the house with a mild fire, when I get up in the middle of the night, it pushes 80+ degrees on a 20 degree night. I always load at 9pm, usually packing in as much as I can, then by 6am, plenty of coals and a very warm house. No regrets with this model, its a lot more efficient than the large fireplace I had, was burning around 25 ricks every winter, I used to cut my wood to 32" lengths with up to 20" dia. I don't miss those days at all now, love using 17" x 4". At the rate I am going now, think I will only consume 10 rick or less for the heating season.

Status
Not open for further replies.