Wrong stove cement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper698

Feb 25, 2007
Just rebuilt my woodstove and I hope I didnt use the wrong stove cement but this is what the guy sold me in the stove shop. It was rutland
stove and gasket cement #78E. But on the tube it says use either #77 or #78 for stoves.

Good at least i did something rite. I am going to make a blockoff plate tomorow after I clean the chimney. I as going to make it out of metal but after thinking about how I was going to cut it and then make
a clean 6" hole I said why cant I just use concrete board. Would that be wise to use?

I doubt wonderboad or concrete board has any sort of high heat rating.
I'd worry about it cracking and falling in.

or worse, crumbling.

metal is better. It's lightweight, the flanges bend and hold it in place, it's fireproof, can be put up in 2 pieces, can be patched

I just came back from the stove shop and talked with the owner and I asked him about using Duro-rock he said it wouldnt be a problem
it pretty much resists everything water fire mold and crumbling and furnace cement adhere's well to it.

chopper698 said:
I just came back from the stove shop and talked with the owner and I asked him about using Duro-rock he said it wouldnt be a problem
it pretty much resists everything water fire mold and crumbling and furnace cement adhere's well to it.

This would be the same stove shop that sold you gasket cement to rebuild a stove?

chopper BB is right. I was at work when I replied. Now that I am home and had a chance to look at what I have for stove repair, it's 78, not 78E. 78E is a somewhat different compound for gaskets.

Well that aint good, I put my whole stove together with this stuff. I wonder what the diffrence is, cause it dries as hard as a rock and withstands 2000 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.