Wrong stove parts! S224E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dendiggity

Oct 13, 2015
Revelstoke
Hey folks,

Not sure if it's appropriate to post a new thread because there's a back story (https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/identifying-make-model-of-wood-stove.147477/) but here goes, despite a bit of redundancy in explaining the circumstances/details:

I'm trying to install a wood stove to code in a mobile home.

I have a Jacuzzi Leisure Products Inc. S244E wood burning stove from 2001. I got a great reply on the aforementioned thread pointing me to the company history of Jacuzzi Leisure Products (https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/haughs-products-stove-s244e-anyone.45179/#post-567274) - the different hands it has changed, and names it has taken on over the years - and have since found the manual (http://www.century-heating.com/upload/documents/manuels/45596A_13-08-2015.pdf). So I thought.

Trouble is, I have an older model manufactured when the company was called Jacuzzi Leisure Products, and I've come to learn that the design of the stove I have is different to those diagramed in the new manual - what I assume to be newer Century Heating stoves. The differences are subtle, or not so subtle, depending on how smart you are (I'm insinuating I'm not the smartest...). Worth mentioning is that I haven't been able to find a 2001 'Jacuzzi Leisure Products S244E' manual after scouring on Google.

Since I'm installing the stove into a mobile home it needs an air intake.

Hastily, I ordered the two requisite parts from Century Heating (so I was told by Home Hardware staff, but the parts are actually from SBI Heating Accessories) required to assemble the air intake. The parts I ordered are shown in the Century Heating S244E manual page below. Parts AC01331 and AC02090.
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.58.58 PM.png
The parts arrived, but the air intake piece doesn't fit the stove:
IMG_2151.JPG

Bugger. The rectangular hole that you see on the back of the stove is far too small to house the air intake piece. But even if the hole was big enough, the piece has no place to go.

IMG_2152.JPG

The back sheet of the stove is kinda like flashing, or is a relatively thin piece, and as you see in the picture, the back wall of the firebox is only about an inch from this back sheet, with no room to house the air intake unit. All it is is a piece of sheet metal welded on to the back of the stove - I don't understand how an air intake would work on it, and think I've got it wrong. I've looked underneath the stove too and that's not where it belongs.

Here are some more pics of the stove:
IMG_2156.JPG
Above, you're looking down into the stove with the chimney pipe removed - you can see the housing for the flue coming off the back of the stove Below is another perspective of the flue assembly, looking through the stove door and up towards the top of the firebox:
IMG_2165.JPG
Below is the mechanism to open and close the flue, with the camera pointing straight up from under the top lip of the stove:
IMG_2166.JPG
The point is, I haven't come to understand how this stove would have a functioning air intake given its anatomy. And I don't know what to do about finding an appropriate part, whether I can get a refund on the parts I have, and whether this stove is designed to have an air intake in the first place. It was my every impression that it was designed for such - it is a stove that was WETT certified in a previous mobile home. Can't get any info from the previous owners...

The S244E Century Heating manual is strikingly similar to the anatomy of my stove.

Thanks so much for your time, anybody who suffered through reading this! Very appreciated.

Denis

Attachments

• IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 293
that square hole on the back heat shield looks like where a blower would go, i'm going to assume that the OAK (outside air kit) attaches to the bottom of the stove where the damper mechanism actually is, look underneath it and see if that makes more sense.

Hey folks - so I've deduced (thanks to moresnow who has the same stove) that the rectangle cut into the back of the stove is to house a blower and that the air intake on these older models is supposed to be affixed to the steel tube protruding above the cut out rectangle meant for the blower. Here it is:

IMG_2157.JPG

Looks like I'll need to figure out how to affix some sort of air intake assembly to it. Any further insight appreciated! I still could use the correct manual, and I still need to figure out whether affixing/welding some fabricated metal housing over top of the steel tube would be copasthetic in the eyes of someone certifying the stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
That may be the secondary air intake. You need to find the primary air intake on the bottom of the stove. Use a mirror and a flashlight or tip the stove over on its side. If that is the secondary air intake shown above, it's possible that this stove is not really set up for outside air.

Yeah the 224 had a welded in secondary burn baffle and that hole is what feeds it.

Looks like there is a heat shield on the bottom of the stove covering the air intake. If this is welded in place outside air may not be an option for this stove.

What would happen if I cut off the heat shield?

How on god's green earth does one figure out whether this stove or any stove is mobile home approved?

Glad I've spent hours and hours tracking down the manual and parts.

Not only, but the seller of this stove had it installed in their home and it was WETT certified!

Never thought it'd come to this...

Does anyone have enough knowledge of this stove to know whether cutting out the bottom heat shield to fit the air intake would work as a proper air intake?

And I repeat, how on god's green earth does one figure out whether this stove or any stove is mobile home approved?

I'm so put off by this whole experience.

I had the WETT certified guy come around who looked at the stove. Shows how much they know!

Thanks for the help everyone...

I just got off the phone with SBI, and yes, the tech confirmed all of what has been deduced. He was very helpful.

What a wonderful experience this has been.

Griping aside, thanks again to everyone for seeing me through.

I'm still somewhat curious as to whether cutting a rectangular hole in the bottom heat plate, and affixing the air intake to it would make the stove functional. Sure wouldn't be hard to get this past the gentlemen who certifies around here...

the air comes in above the door right?
i dont see how any outside air kit could be installed... and not leak alot of air into the home.
the 244e in my showroom is NOT mobile approved

the OAK instructions in the manual:
In order to prepare your stove for the connection to a fresh air kit, please follow the following steps. (only available with FW2470 model)

As Dave says, with the primary intake on the front and the secondary up on the back outside air is pretty much off the table for the lil stove. It would be doing about the same things as a hole in your wall would.

I've got the OAK adapter for the S244E. The FW2600 requires a different adapter. Better yet, SBI has me pay shipping here and back and a re-stocking fee.

Don't blame them, they just provided the part you ordered and agreed to their terms, I hate when people say stuff like this, own up that YOU made the mistake and ordered a part before checking to see if it would fit YOUR stove.
Thanks for the input and the sympathy mellow! Really great to hear from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.