1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Yay! Finally got all new windows!

Post in 'The Green Room' started by ikessky, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Some of you might have seen my struggles with my old single pane windows before (tons of moisture in the winter). We built a new attached garage last fall and changed our old garage into a family room. Since we were already doing vinyl siding on the garage, we decided to do the entire house. Since we were residing the entire house, we decided it was time to replace all the windows. Well, life got in the way and so I am just now getting back to the project. As of 6PM on Monday night, I officially have all low-e insulated vinyl windows and a new patio door to match. I have never cared much about heat lose when we were burning wood, but I'll be interested to see how the AC goes this next summer.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Awesome! I hope your comfort level is much higher! I know I can feel the difference in the rooms of my house.

Matt
  3. Stegman

Stegman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sterling, MA
    New windows made a big difference for us in our old house, which was built around 1890. Tightened things up noticeably. Enjoy.
  4. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Our house definitely isn't that old! The old windows were single pane and the frame was 100% wood. In the winter time, you couldn't even get them open. In fact, when it was time to open them in the spring/summer, I would have to tap around the frame while cranking on them. The new windows in the bedrooms and kitch are all slide-by's, which will help air flow vs the old awning styles. The family room and dining room (all very large windows) are casements.