Year two...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

awicherr

Sep 5, 2020
Ohio
So second year of wood collecting... ran out last year hoping to not do that again. Hotblast eats just about anything i toss is and A LOT think i am gaining on it

20210814_191415.jpg 20210814_191408.jpg 20210814_191406.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-96534664.mp4
    18.4 MB
That is a decent amount of wood!

I hope you are not only collecting for this winter but also for the next two? A modern stove runs best on wood that is well-seasoned, i.e. with a moisture content below 20%. While it may run at MCs higher than that, you're wasting a lot of heat in boiling off that water. And risking dirtier chimneys.

That works best if you store the wood off the ground and covered - with space where the wind can blow. The best way would be in stacks on pallets or 2*4s and separated by a few inches. Piles on the ground don't dry very well.

Reactions: awicherr
Good for you for increasing your supply. Getting to 3 yrs wood on hand is tough but even get to 2 yrs supply will set you up to then get really choosy about the wood you get. I have a between 2 and 3 yrs now and will only get wood that is a certain size and is a short distance from house.

That is a decent amount of wood!

I hope you are not only collecting for this winter but also for the next two? A modern stove runs best on wood that is well-seasoned, i.e. with a moisture content below 20%. While it may run at MCs higher than that, you're wasting a lot of heat in boiling off that water. And risking dirtier chimneys.

That works best if you store the wood off the ground and covered - with space where the wind can blow. The best way would be in stacks on pallets or 2*4s and separated by a few inches. Piles on the ground don't dry very well.
Piles are for next year . . what is stacked on pallets-double row with space in-between rows one small sectiin is a single row ... has been tarped and split since last november just finished stacking it MC on fresh split ranges from 18 to 24 species dependant but full sun and lots of wind here(flag never not waving) i think i will be fine come october-november. Just got a maple this morning from storm clean up have some poplar and pear to clean up tomorrow . Running out of room once burning season comes around i will be able to rotate. Lower MC does produce more heat but only being on year two i would rather burn more wood sweep the chimney a few extra times than write checks for off road diesel

You might want to thing about permanent wood storage, like a wood shed. I have had to do the tarp thing in the past and still use the rack method with a top.cover tarp. I moved to all wood sheds years ago. Never have to tarp never have to do anything.. just split and stack and walk away. Next month Ill be building a permanent structure 37ft long Im going to be adding to my wood storage to bring me to a total of about 14/15 cords CSS and also storage fot the bobcat, grapple bucket and 2 splitters. Keeping the wood really dry cuts down on drying time.

You might want to thing about permanent wood storage, like a wood shed. I have had to do the tarp thing in the past and still use the rack method with a top.cover tarp. I moved to all wood sheds years ago. Never have to tarp never have to do anything.. just split and stack and walk away. Next month Ill be building a permanent structure 37ft long Im going to be adding to my wood storage to bring me to a total of about 14/15 cords CSS and also storage fot the bobcat, grapple bucket and 2 splitters. Keeping the wood really dry cuts down on drying time.
Yeah a wood shed is in the plans once i get the old barn taken down, and build a usable barn . Then i am hoping to get a wood shed built and set up a processing area

Reactions: stoveliker