Yearly fire safety talk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcapler

Jan 5, 2016
Nebraska
If this is a repost let me know. I couldn't find one.

Well we have been burning constantly for the one month and thought I would have the fire talk with the wife the other day. She doesn't do much with the stove, not scared of doing it I just have an obsessive need to be the one that controls it. Plus our schedules put me home first and that involves getting the stove up and running again. Anyway just wondered what everyone does for the fire safety during stove season.

Currently we set out fire extinguishers near each entry way to the stove room. I discuss situations about what you would do if. We also review what temps you should see on the flue thermostat and stove top thermostat and what to do if those temps get to be too hot.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Reactions: drstorm
I've gone over what to do if the stove gets out of control and how to put out a fire in stove pipe. Both are pretty simple and easily done. Plug the air hole on the back of the stove and it will choke the fire down if the stove gets out of control...or you can open the door and let it burn down. But you have to be very careful of embers. A chimney fire is put out with very little water converted to steam. A pile of news papers soaked in water and tossed in the stove will create steam and put out the fire or at least slow it way down.

Since it's only my wife and I . . . and she runs the stove as good, if not better than me . . . there really is no need for any safety talks. She knows what temps the stove runs at, when to reload it, how to adjust the air, where the extinguishers are, how to slow down the burn by blocking off the incoming air and pretty much everything else.

Along the same lines:

41ec5fed48b22bdbb9e82bd41d6bc079ca62522841489a029af254fc0d56a571_1.jpg

Reactions: firefighterjake
A chimney fire is put out with very little water converted to steam. A pile of news papers soaked in water and tossed in the stove will create steam and put out the fire or at least slow it way down.
I know this method is frowned on here, but I don't know of a better way to quickly shut a fire down.

I know this method is frowned on here, but I don't know of a better way to quickly shut a fire down.
When I was in the biz, we had a fine spray nozzle we could put on a booster line or even a class A water extinguisher for a quick attack on a chimney fire. More often than not, it was all that was needed unless, of course, there was an extension to the roof or structure. I keep a garden type sprayer nearby and keep it pressurized. I personally prefer water for such fires over the usual powder type extinguishers, but never for kitchen stove/grease, electrical, etc. I've never had a chimney fire myself, but I did use it recently to extinguish a smoldering fire from a bad down draft filling the house.

I hesitate to recommend any one method for homeowners because there are so many variables in any situation, and some things can make it much worse, such as pouring water on or in a hot stove for example. One thing I will always recommend, though, is to go ahead and call in any such situation and let them look for extensions even if you think you have knocked it down. If it's out of hand or out of the stove, obviously get everyone out now.

I've had a few uncomfortably hot fires and I have found that blowing a fan across the stove can cool it down nicely as long as there are no other problems. If you happen to have a screen for your stove, opening the door can cool an overfire by letting it act like an open fireplace (not for a chimney fire). The problem with that is that you are inviting embers outside the stove which can never be a good thing.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I've been a firefighter for 18 years and have seen quite a few chimney fires. Both in traditional fireplaces and a few wood stoves. A few squirts from the PW can in the chimney usually does the trick. If it doesn't then we've got other means of catching it. I've used a pile of wet paper towels in a wood stove and it worked well. The wet newspaper method is what I've told my wife to do in the event of a stove pipe fire. Open the door, toss it in and shut the door, pick up the phone and call 911. If it goes out then crisis averted. I'm sure that there are several methods to put it out. But my main priority if I'm not home is keeping her from having to have the stove door open for for more than a few seconds.

Reactions: Sprinter
I think everyone should have a class A pressurized water extinguisher (or PW can) plus the powder ones, but know when and how to use it and not use it in the home. You can do an awful lot with only 2-1/2 gallons properly applied. But you also need to know when to get the hell out, too.

I know this is very simplistic, but really the best way for a chimney fire is prevention, and it's not that hard. I'm betting most chimney fires has its start with inattention and poor flue service. That includes all the things we preach here on this forum. Still, stuff happens...

Again, even if you knock down a chimney fire, they can start a hidden incipient fire. My very first fire (everyone remembers their first, right?) started as a simple chimney fire in an expensive house, The owner extinguished it and went to bed. Then the alarms went off and they called us. The fire had extended to the shake roof (I hate those things) and into the attic. It was a long night.

Sorry if I tend to go on and on, but I've seen too much bad stuff.

Oh, and B.Bart, it's really okay to remove your boots and other turnouts after you get home, or preferably at the station. I know my wife preferred it that way (followed by a nice, long shower, followed by whatever.)

Status
Not open for further replies.