1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Yes, another new guy looking for help/advice on the purchase of a wood buring insert (Jotul/Heathsto

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by cowtown, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    Thanks for this, not sure I am sold yet, but appriciate it.

Now about the liner - are you suggesting not to insulate it?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pharmsaler

pharmsaler Member

Loc:
    Western PA
    Everybody you talk to will tell you to insulate. I chose to NOT insulate mine. Here is Why: My fireplace is in the middle of the house and only the top 5 feet will stick out above the roof line and be exposed to colder temperatures. My chimney sweep/installer said he will insert rock wool above the damper and in the last 5 feet of the chimney, thus creating a dead space of air that is kept in the house structure it self. he said up until a few years he never insulated liners and never had a problem. Now all liner manufactures are reccomending to insulate.

My take would be that if your chimney is on the outside of the house and exposed to the direct outside air I would insulate it. The whole idea of insulating it is to keep the flue temps from decreasing to quickly and creating creosote.

Tough call... I saved $400 by not insulating
  3. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    I have an outside chimney - so I might insulate (but might not). One more for you - how about a block-off plate, from these forums it appears to be a must have.

Thanks for all your time/help.
  4. pharmsaler

pharmsaler Member

Loc:
    Western PA
    Outside chimney= insulate + block off plate

Keep in mind---I am not an expert, I have done hours upon hours of research and reading. It probably took me a year to finally make a decision
  5. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    Pharmsaler - thanks for all the help.

I really appreciated your feedback, I started a new thread with the new issues i am facing. It you want to comment that would be great.
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/79115/

Thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.