1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Your opinion please. More info added

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by LT32, Dec 7, 2011.

1. LT32

LT32 New Member

Loc:
    The Bluegrass State
    First I would like to thank all the people contributing to this forum. I've researched and asked a few questions on here regarding the pellet stoves and have gotten a lot of useful information. Now I would simply like your opinions if I should look further in the matter or stay where I am.

I'm looking to heat a well insulated 1100 sq ft garage with a 15 foot ceiling. I currently use a wood stove (which can easily put the temp in the mid 80's on the coldest of days) when a lot of heat is needed or a propane heater just to take the chill out when the outside temp is 40 or above.

I was looking at getting a pellet stove that has the on/off mode and hook up a thermostat so it would turn on an hour or so before I get home and go off at night. It looks like if I did this I would go through ignitors more frequently. If I ran it in hi/low mode I would run through more pellets and probably require more cleanings.

I know I would like the ease of pellet stove versus the trouble with the wood stove but would I be better off just staying with my current setup?

UPDATES

I keep an oil filled electric heater going in the garage so it never gets really cold. Wed night the temp dropped to 22 degrees. Thurs got up to the low 40's and when I got off work the temp was 37. Temperature inside the garage was 61. I can not ever recall it getting below 50 during the coldest times of the year.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DirtyDave

DirtyDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western wa
    I dont think you can use a programmable t stat with a pellet stove
  3. madge69

madge69 Member

Loc:
    central ma
    Yes you can. I do. Many on here do too.
  4. Cincinnati Kid

Cincinnati Kid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cincinnati
    I see you live in Kentucky so your temps are much like Cincinnati's. In my opinion, a pellet stove would probably struggle to get the garage temp up to a comfortable level quickly on colder winter days. Even if you have a 50 -70k BTU pellet stove, the garage temp in the dead of winter with no heat on would probably be in the 40's I'm guessing. It would take an awful lot to get that garage up to a 70 degree temp in a short period of time, in my opinion.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    being it has not been mentioned yet
    a stove in a garage is dangerous
    search the forum
    a couple burn down every year

however I agree a pellet stove would be inadequate
    unless you ran in stove mode on low to keep things warm
    which neans more pellets burned

might defeat the purpise of the stove
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Yep! Been using mine for many many years. All 3 stoves had the programmable stat controlling it.

Wonder where DirtyDave got that idea???
  7. Emilio

Emilio New Member

Loc:
    Western Washington
    Dirtydave, your pellet stove has the ability to use a thermostat, if your pellet stove has a self igniter.
  8. jdempsey

jdempsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    kentucky
    LT32. What county are you in?
  9. woodburning 2EZ

woodburning 2EZ New Member

Loc:
    Canada
    LT32.. HAving a well insulated garage is good however i presume you have a concrete floor and that floor is generally 54 degrees 1100 sqft of 54 degrees is a big surface to warm. you have 16,500 cuft volume to heat perhaps looking at a pellet furnace with the same options (t/stat controlled, self ignition, large hopper) may be a better why to go here. Many of the pellet furnaces have feed settings from 60,000 btu to 120,000 btu and some higher. Many of the pellet furnaces have larger blowers to move more air faster and this way you can run dustwork as well to distribute air faster to the other end of the garage. the volume of air you are heating is nearly double what you would have in a 1100 sqft home with 8' ceilings. the cost may be more but i would think you could do away with the wood and propane units. Cleaning these guys ..generally you can go longer times between cleanings
  10. DirtyDave

DirtyDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western wa
    my stove doesnt have an igniter, but I read that you could not use a programmable t stat on a pellet stove when i was investigating various stoves awhile back.
    I thought that was wierd, but what do I know on that but what a waste.
  11. woodburning 2EZ

woodburning 2EZ New Member

Loc:
    Canada
    DD... electronic ignition systems generally allow for t/stat installations. yes there are programmable t/stats that do and do not work with different systems. Many of the manuf. have a list of Programmables they support or that work with their systems as well they have a list that does not work. What i say is narrow the choice of stove then call the manuf to see if they offer or can give details of which is better (good/better/best)
  12. LT32

LT32 New Member

Loc:
    The Bluegrass State
    Rowan Co.