Your opinions on quality = Englander Stoves versus .......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So by "liner" you mean a metal flexible liner? My house was built in 82 and the chimney has clay tiles about 8x8 inches lining it, but you're saying a new epa stove will need an additional, new liner installed as well?

kingston73 said:
So by "liner" you mean a metal flexible liner? My house was built in 82 and the chimney has clay tiles about 8x8 inches lining it, but you're saying a new epa stove will need an additional, new liner installed as well?

The liner does not need to be of the flex type unless you need it to flex. If possible I would stay with a rigid liner. And "need" is a strong word. There are many out there that are running epa stoves into clay tiles and exterior chimneys. And it can work, but it has down sides too. Creosote/chimney cleaning and poorly drafting/hard starting stoves are more common.

If you want to come out of the corner swinging - insulated liner on a epa stove is gonna be the champ.

OK, so that gives me an entirely new option to consider. I'll have to look into it in more detail, but is installing a metal liner a possibly DIY job? Best place to look for instructions online?

kingston73 said:
OK, so that gives me an entirely new option to consider. I'll have to look into it in more detail, but is installing a metal liner a possibly DIY job? Best place to look for instructions online?

Yeah, some do it DIY. Some don't. I would start a new thread if that was of interest to you.

I did my own flexible liner last fall and posted blow-by-blow accounts. The title of the tread was something like "Liner install, or why is Granny on the roof?"

Soon I will be installing my new Englander, but this time I'll be going straight up thru the roof. I'm hiring a contractor friend of mine to do the dirty work. While I know I could do it myself, I'm just not in the mood for climbing around in the roof trusses. Especially if it gets warm soon and the wasps come to life up there. I'm kinda maybe allergic to bee/wasp stings, so I don't wanta push my luck. Besides, Norman needs the work.

Anyway, I say go for it.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.