Yup I think the woodstove I got is too big

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok it has been mild again & we are doing better with the stove. I guess I was quite worried about building creosote with low flue temps but you guys don't seem to see that as a problem. So what I have been doing is getting the stove going really good, get about 1" to 2" of hot coals, then keep two to three sticks of wood on the coals with the air adjustment 80% to 100% closed. House is comfortable even with 40 degrees outdoor temps.

Sounds as if you are getting a handle on it. I would vote like the others - play with it for a season if not two. Once to temp, with the cat you can choke it to near nothing so long as the cat is engaged...and with good wood, there will be near zero creosote. OUr big Buck 91 heated us out in the shoulder season until we learned how to tweak it and when to light it off...happy holidays!

Wyld Bill said:
Ok it has been mild again & we are doing better with the stove. I guess I was quite worried about building creosote with low flue temps but you guys don't seem to see that as a problem. So what I have been doing is getting the stove going really good, get about 1" to 2" of hot coals, then keep two to three sticks of wood on the coals with the air adjustment 80% to 100% closed. House is comfortable even with 40 degrees outdoor temps.
Can you get it to heat without any visible flame to speak of?
Sounds to me you are getting on track. Cheers!

So now that the temps are in the low to mid teens Bill how is the stove working out?

Status
Not open for further replies.