Zero clearance wood Fireplace venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oatman174500

Aug 8, 2023
Allentown, Pa
I am replacing my old zero clearance wood-burning fireplace with a new one.
My existing venting is about 10 inches round pipe that runs to the roof.
The new fireplace required 6" venting.
My question if anybody can help is can I run the new venting inside of the existing 10 inch vent so that I do not have to remove the existing venting
thanks

The odds are that the old fireplace had an air cooled chimney pipe. The new fireplace will require all-new, class A chimney piping.

Reactions: ericm979
I understand that, I probably was not really clear.
I would prefer not to tear out the existing vent pipe and just run the new vent pipe inside the old pipe.
Not sure if this is a good idea or if I should just bite the bullet and tear out the out and put in the new
thanks for getting back to me
I am really confused

It is not permitted. The new fireplace must be installed per code and the manufacturer's requirements.

Reactions: ericm979
It also doubt it would be possible. The fireplace is almost always what is supporting the chimney so you really can't remove the fireplace without taking out the chimney