#1 Fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CamFan

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2011
North East Georgia
If anyone is interested. Since the first stove built by Fisher of Ga was just collecting dust in the warehouse, i sold it. Mt. Man here bought it and all the parts I had left with the exception of keeping enough stuff to build a few stoves down the road If I felt like it. He said to text him if you need anything. 828-508-6153. I will hang around if anyone has questions about how to build a stove or how we built them when in production, and just for the fun of watching the enthusiasm of new fisher owners.

Hey folks, don't mean to post jump but here is my situation. I just purchased a used mama bear. Based on what I've read here before I joined, this is either a PA or GA stove. The bottom of it has the weld "#1 Cal Colton NY". Any idea what history this might have? Purchased it from a friend's, grandparent's estate sale.Thanks!

received_884153435867766.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey
The name is Cotton.

Calvin was the original license owner from Idaho in Boise.
He talked Bob into selling him the license for New York state far under its value against Carol's wishes.
He lost his license to build due to patent infringement making adaptations of the Fisher Stove. He later went into business with William Duncan who was a former pig farmer that owned the license for Southern Illinois. William was doing the same thing as Cal, and had became Old Timer Stoves, (known as Mid-west Stoves Inc.) They combined to become Timberline.

This stove was built at 4075 New Court, Syracuse NY, 13206.

The whereabouts of #1 from PA, GA and NY are now known. Please keep us updated as of its whereabouts and ownership.

Reactions: clancey
The name is Cotton.

Calvin was the original license owner from Idaho in Boise.
He talked Bob into selling him the license for New York state far under its value against Carol's wishes.
He lost his license to build due to patent infringement making adaptations of the Fisher Stove. He later went into business with William Duncan who was a former pig farmer that owned the license for Southern Illinois. William was doing the same thing as Cal, and had became Old Timer Stoves, (known as Mid-west Stoves Inc.) They combined to become Timberline.

This stove was built at 4075 New Court, Syracuse NY, 13206.

The whereabouts of #1 from PA, GA and NY are now known. Please keep us updated as of its whereabouts and ownership.
How would I go about authenticity.... I may have number 1 for NY if I'm reading the weld correctly.

The NY stoves were not numbered like PA and GA on the bottom.
Could be a 1 or 3 in weld?
The picture shows a 3 piece top, that's an indication of the correct time frame.
Pictures of the door would date it further, but not necessary. It is certainly one of the first made in NY.
It also looks to be Bark Brown, the only optional color other than black. It is still available from Forrest Paints under the Stove Bright name.
I would keep it original and not restore it.

The NY stoves were not numbered like PA and GA on the bottom.
Could be a 1 or 3 in weld?
The picture shows a 3 piece top, that's an indication of the correct time frame.
Pictures of the door would date it further, but not necessary. It is certainly one of the first made in NY.
It also looks to be Bark Brown, the only optional color other than black. It is still available from Forrest Paints under the Stove Bright name.
I would keep it original and not restore it.
So this appears authentic to you? Now. As far as keeping it original, fix and run as is? Or if I paint it, go with the original color? I'm loving the idea of researching this piece.. having a little knowledge of it will be good chat when people come over. My house was built in the 1850's so aside from necessary updates im trying to keep that old farm house charm as much as possible. Unfortunately using the original chimney to the house is out of the question.

Yes it does. The paint looks original, so it would be impossible to write in weld on the bottom and cover it with the old original looking paint.

This stove should not be used and cannot be installed legally in most states.
To legally install a stove, it must have a UL Listing label attached. This is pre-UL testing. It would be grandfathered if used where originally installed, but cannot be installed in a new installation today.

Paint protects any steel from moisture and rust, so it normally doesn't matter since when restoring it can always be brought back to the original color. If there is no rust, and it was well taken care of, I would not paint over the original if it is still protecting the metal. They are only original once.

Does it have a chrome ball for the door handle, "patented" on door or Pat. Pend. on door? Left or right swing door?
Side or rear exhaust?

I have many older stoves than this from Western states that were making stoves before licenses were sold on the East Coast, but a number one stove is always desirable to a collector.

Yes it does. The paint looks original, so it would be impossible to write in weld on the bottom and cover it with the old original looking paint.

This stove should not be used and cannot be installed legally in most states.
To legally install a stove, it must have a UL Listing label attached. This is pre-UL testing. It would be grandfathered if used where originally installed, but cannot be installed in a new installation today.

Paint protects any steel from moisture and rust, so it normally doesn't matter since when restoring it can always be brought back to the original color. If there is no rust, and it was well taken care of, I would not paint over the original if it is still protecting the metal. They are only original once.

Does it have a chrome ball for the door handle, "patented" on door or Pat. Pend. on door? Left or right swing door?
Side or rear exhaust?

I have many older stoves than this from Western states that were making stoves before licenses were sold on the East Coast, but a number one stove is always desirable to a collector.
Rear flue, right swing door with the spring handle. I'll have to get back to you as far as the patent marking. The number written on the bottom looked like a "1" to both my brother and I, but we also were looking at the piece directly. A coworker saw "3" as you did so im going to have to figure out a way to clean the number up with out damaging it. That being said, if it is in fact a #1 and the issue of not being compliant to use.. it will be up for sale.

NFPA 211 was the safety Standard used for many years. It even had a section for unlisted (untested) appliances how they could be used with reduced clearances. Building codes adopt the Standard, and add what they feel necessary. Then states and local governments adopt the codes. Your state adopted the ICC (Intenational Family of Codes) which the Mechanical Code covers venting and solid fuel appliances. That code added "Installation of ALL appliances must be UL Listed". Most states have adopted that code. It was to prevent the installation of homemade unsafe stoves, but unfortunately it prevents the use of antique and classic stoves that could be safe for use. Many areas out West also require appliances to pass smoke and particulate emissions requiring EPA approved stoves only.

NFPA 211 was the safety Standard used for many years. It even had a section for unlisted (untested) appliances how they could be used with reduced clearances. Building codes adopt the Standard, and add what they feel necessary. Then states and local governments adopt the codes. Your state adopted the ICC (Intenational Family of Codes) which the Mechanical Code covers venting and solid fuel appliances. That code added "Installation of ALL appliances must be UL Listed". Most states have adopted that code. It was to prevent the installation of homemade unsafe stoves, but unfortunately it prevents the use of antique and classic stoves that could be safe for use. Many areas out West also require appliances to pass smoke and particulate emissions requiring EPA approved stoves only.
Probably safe to assume that even if I could get it to pass inspection, I'll run into a wall with insurance?

Hey folks, don't mean to post jump but here is my situation. I just purchased a used mama bear. Based on what I've read here before I joined, this is either a PA or GA stove. The bottom of it has the weld "#1 Cal Colton NY". Any idea what history this might have? Purchased it from a friend's, grandparent's estate sale.Thanks!

View attachment 281160
Shoot me a message if you are going to be selling. Im only about 5 hours away and may be interested.