1350 delivered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duetech

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2008
S/W MI
$1350 delivered for a load of 10 cord (4'x4'x8') green cut red oak in 8' log length with 10-12" max diameter down to 4" tow where you only need to split about 1/3 of the load. Versus $150 per cord of semi seasoned/seasoned mixed cherry and red oak cut and split and delivered. Is that too much cash and work for just "red oak"?

at that price imo I would go with the 150 cord

It's probably about the same price by the time you get it split and stacked as it will stack up smaller when it is split. It also depends on how the split wood is cut as far as lenght is. if it is exactly 16in or 24in or if you have shorter or longer pieces. Also when they deliver it and you stack it it doesn't always make a cord. When I used to sell wood I had it stacked so people could see what they were getting but then I didn't deliver. Alot of times I think they just figure that there truck holds so much and they fill it and that is what you get so you are at the mercy of there honesty.
Oak has more btu's per cord than cherry but it takes longer to dry also. You will also get more wood if it is seasoned as it shrinks down. I always had to add a layer after it was dry to keep the 4ft height.
leaddog

Thanks all,
You all kind covered of my gut feeling on this (delivery went up 350 from last year). It didn't really seem like a worthwhile endeavor just to have all oak. $15 for a cut and split cord isn't bad for a trade off versus time and expenses. Using the cherry for the shoulder season would leave me in good stead for the harder weather with oak and I don't have to buy all 10 at once. Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.