How much did you burn this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Right about 3 cords so far. Probably burn another half cord or so. Our stove is in the basement in the family room where we all love to gather in the evenings, so there will be a fire anytime it's below 50 outside. Even though it's been a mild winter, we really haven't burned any less than last year so far, maybe a half cord.

It has been a fairly mild winter here. We did have two big storms in January that brought us two feet of snow and minus twenty temps with forty below wind chill. Was burning three loads a day in the Garn then. Most of the rest of the winter has been one load a day which is not normal. I normally burn 10-15 cord a year of hard wood. I burn about three cord in the off season to heat my domestic water. Since heating season started I have only burned about four cord normally by now I would have burned eight to ten by this time of the year. Furnace is still running in the mornings so I am still burning a load a day in the Garn. It was seventy yesterday and forty today here. Did finally got a half inch rain over night. We are very dry here.

I'm around 3 1/4 cord so far. Probably end up about 3 3/4 by the time I'm done. Usually 4-4 1/2.

This is my second year heating with wood and I'm right at 3 cords burned to date for the season. First fire of the season was 10/8/23. Burned sporadically in October then essentially 24/7 from 10/30/23 -2/28/2024. In that time period, I only cold-started one time when I returned home from hunting camp the week of Thanksgiving. In that time, I also burned right around 160 gal of oil, most of which was to heat water (+/-1 gal/day), the rest of which was to heat the rear of the house on extremely cold days when that zone dropped below 67F. For comparison before I started heating with wood, I would have used +/-800 gal of oil over that same time period. I've been burning sporadically since 2/28/24...I still have 1/2 cord stacked on the porch and expect I may use 1/4 cord until then end of April with occasional overnight fires, so looking at 3.25 cord for the season, which is basically the same as last season.

Reactions: stoveliker
I'm probably at 2.5 I'm never good at keeping track. I fill the rack near my slider before it gets empty. it holds about half and my shed holds about 2. Plus I always burn a 5x8 trailer of ash I cut behind my parents house.

from Jan 1 I probably used around 3/4-1 cord. But that’s not full time heating (yet). That’s just running the stove most days during the day and not overnight. I have not used the boiler since the 3rd week in February. Just been using the mini split and the stove. Only been using the stove if it’s around 40 or colder (just to save on electricity, the system is more than capable heating at very low temperatures).

Stocking up on wood this past winter. I processed 5+ cords so far. I am having a tree taken down at my house (oak) and I’ll have probably close to 3 more cords by next month totaling 8 processed since mid January.

Curious to see how much I use next year. I plan on using it much more next season.

Last edited:
I'm guessing just under 3 cords as I sort as I go
My main wood store holds about 6 stair (2 cords) and this year I started with that store completely packed full.

In the main wood store I have my purchased wood
then I have an uncovered pile of small branches (1-3") that I add to and cut all the time to add small supplements
and a covered pile of super dry precious which is mostly apple and elm which started the burning season at about 2 stair and here at the end of the season, not much left there

I've only got a small portion of unsorted, purchased left in the store
and easily 1.5 stair of sorted, purchased but still too moist

I also need more roof here which is on the docket to build. I've realized I have an overflowing water butt from the gutter on my store which is keeping everything too moist...I either need to move the butt or install an overflow

2 full cords and 1/2 a face so far, very light year here, even though it feels like the stove has been running 24/7 since end of November.

I’m usually right at 4 burning 24/7 oct-April, this year I’m right on track.

I think we'll finish the year right around 7.5 cords. It's measured as six "1 cord" bays from our sheds, but by stacking up into the rafters, I'm stuffing about 1.25 cords into each "1 cord" bay.

I'm running two 2.9 cu.ft. stoves, averaging 3 loads per day between the pair. That shakes out as 4 loads per day in January, and two loads per day in shoulder season.

I am rapidly approaching 4 cords. I was thinking 3.5 with the early spring that looked like it was coming about 3 weeks ago but I have been burning ever since.

I think we'll finish the year right around 7.5 cords. It's measured as six "1 cord" bays from our sheds, but by stacking up into the rafters, I'm stuffing about 1.25 cords into each "1 cord" bay.

I'm running two 2.9 cu.ft. stoves, averaging 3 loads per day between the pair. That shakes out as 4 loads per day in January, and two loads per day in shoulder season.
it's a big place!

I used to travel a lot for work, and could only burn on the weekends, or if I was home. That changed this year. I was home this year, and went from a field superintendent to a PM and also doing a lot of estimating, but I work from home now. I had more opportunity to burn this year, probably actually burned more days than last year, but over all, less wood.
I might have went through 1 cord…maybe…

it's a big place!
Larger than average, but also lossier than average, due to age. This is the second-least amount of wood I've ever burned in a year with two stoves running, with 2022/23 being the record low year. It's been two warm winters in a row, here.

Reactions: ctreitzell
About a cord. But hard to tell as I never got this years wood moved to under the deck. Because we had very little snow I was using my ATV with a trailer to get wood off the end of the yard stack. Then move it to the side deck, which holds a few weeks of wood. The yard stack is about 75' long. New wood goes on one and I use the wood from the other end.

Warm and muddy winter here. Starting in on my 10th tote of firewood, so that puts me around 3 cords or so. Started burning in November with a couple totes of junky wood. When we had warm days I would do batch burns in the morning and then coast all day off of that.

Going into this past winter, I had no idea how much wood I would be burning. In the past I burned entirely doug fir and cedar. Past years were 3 to 4 cords to heat my whole house here in Oregon. This winter I burned about 1/2 cord of cedar and 1 1/2 cords maple and oak. Going from 3 to 4 cords down to 2 is quite a change and I can account for this by 3 things. Maple and oak have more energy than fir and cedar. The winter "seemed" warmer than usual too. Lastly, I upgraded the insulation in my house pretty much doubling the R factor. I think the insulation upgrades were the biggest factor in my decreased firewood use. There are some great tax credits going on right now for insulation improvements that I could not pass up.

Though I still have a few more weeks until the heating season is entirely done, I doubt much more heating will be required.