1450 sqft, suggest a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Username

Jul 22, 2019
Hudson Valley, NY
Looking for some suggestions to save me frustrating research time.
I currently have a VC resolute acclaim which came with our house. Although I love it, I’m leaning toward replacing it since a rebuild is going to be $1500 or so and I feel I would rather invest that money into a stove that doesn’t require expensive rebuilds every couple years.
I like that it’s top loading, and really like that it has a bypass. I understand there are lots of people without bypass stoves who claim there is no smoke if you follow a pattern of behaviors before reloading, but I’m not sure I want to deal with that. I know with my bypass I can flip it open, and open up my front stove door and do what I gotta do and have never had smoke stank up my house.
I’ve been eyeing a Lopi endeavor ( it has a bypass ) but by the time tax and delivery is factored in I’ll be close to $3k.
Some people sing the praises of the englander 30-NC or 30-NCP, but it appears to have no bypass and might be too much stove for my sqft, however the price is attractive under $1k.
Are there any NON cat stoves with a bypass out there that won’t break the bank but still decent quality for a 1450 sqft home?
I don’t have much of a preference over e/w or n/s, cast or steel. $1,000 to $1500 would be a nice price range for me.
Thanks in advance.

Looking for some suggestions to save me frustrating research time.
I currently have a VC resolute acclaim which came with our house. Although I love it, I’m leaning toward replacing it since a rebuild is going to be $1500 or so and I feel I would rather invest that money into a stove that doesn’t require expensive rebuilds every couple years.
I like that it’s top loading, and really like that it has a bypass. I understand there are lots of people without bypass stoves who claim there is no smoke if you follow a pattern of behaviors before reloading, but I’m not sure I want to deal with that. I know with my bypass I can flip it open, and open up my front stove door and do what I gotta do and have never had smoke stank up my house.
I’ve been eyeing a Lopi endeavor ( it has a bypass ) but by the time tax and delivery is factored in I’ll be close to $3k.
Some people sing the praises of the englander 30-NC or 30-NCP, but it appears to have no bypass and might be too much stove for my sqft, however the price is attractive under $1k.
Are there any NON cat stoves with a bypass out there that won’t break the bank but still decent quality for a 1450 sqft home?
I don’t have much of a preference over e/w or n/s, cast or steel. $1,000 to $1500 would be a nice price range for me.
Thanks in advance.
Don't worry about a bypass

Yes, if draft is good, smoke spillage is not an issue. N/S loading is a more important feature for me. The Lopi 1750 is the value version of the Endeavor without a bypass. The PE Super series would also work for this situation.