1875 Cabin in Ontario - Beautiful Box -Insulated pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Floo420

Aug 11, 2020
Toronto Canada
HI there,
New to the site. I purchased a old cabin and it has a great tiny stove. The cabin is 10' x 18' The inside pipe is in good shape (black single wall). It exits through the side wall. I have to replace everything on the outside of the cabin. I have found some good 6" insulated pipe but its 1" insulated . Is there anything in Ont. Code that says it needs to be 2" insulated?
Any help appreciated.
Shawn

1" insulated is most common for chimney pipe. ICC Excel is Canadian and a good product.

1" insulated is most common for chimney pipe. ICC Excel is Canadian and a good product.
Thanks so much for the info. I have found a used set up that someone removed when switching over their oil furnace. I just wanted to make sure that 1" was approved for wood burning. The stove is an old Favorite Box that is in great condition.

It would be best to identify the mfg and brand of the pipe to make sure it meets current code.

Great idea. Here is the label.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200812-130506.png
    Screenshot_20200812-130506.png
    542.5 KB · Views: 181
Not sure if that will work. I thought the SC/SPR was for oil and gas, but could be wrong. Contact Selkirk Canada support to check.

SELKIRK CANADA
Customer Service
Toll Free:
1.888.SELKIRK (735.5475)
Toll Free Fax: 1.866.835.9624
Email: [email protected]

Thanks. I called them and since the 80's it needs to be 2" insulated.
Thanks so much
Yes, Canada standards are tougher. It looks like only Excel has passed the ULC standard with 1".

Floo 420
also, be aware that for insurances purposes you will need an Ontario WETT inspection
also, most municipalities want one
Wett means Wood Energy Technology Transfer
a big name to say your appliance and chimney meet code
Good Luck