1950's fireplace operating questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RIMatt

Oct 30, 2018
RI
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I have been on this website for a few weeks now reading threads and learning a lot. Thank you all for the good information that you put on this forum. It is very helpful.

So here is my situation. I bought a house in February of this year (2018), and I did major renovations, like tear down walls and put insulation in all of the rooms, complete kitchen reno, appliances and all that. I love my fireplace and I would like to use it. I am thinking about getting a fireplace insert in the future, probably next year because of budget restraints. In the mean time, I was wondering if I could use the fireplace as is. I believe the chimney was swept in 2016 or 2017 a stainless steel liner was put in and cap was put on.

I have attached some pictures and I was also wondering what the little nobs are on the side? They slide in and out and I'm assuming they are for air flow... could be wrong so let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 236
The only way to know if fireplace safe for use would be to have it inspected. Best place to look would be Csia.org . I would not trust any previous home owner about when chimney was cleaned. For all you know, they could have hired a shotty pro for the job. Plus, while your at it, you can have that chimney pro inspect, clean as needed and give you estimate on insert install. Price for that should be about 150-175 in your area.

That makes sense. I’ll look at that website and have someone come out to do all of that. I was leaning towards putting the insert in myself but it wouldn’t hurt to get an estimate for a chimney company either.

That makes sense. I’ll look at that website and have someone come out to do all of that. I was leaning towards putting the insert in myself but it wouldn’t hurt to get an estimate for a chimney company either.
Before even considering self install, check with your homeowners ins company to see what their requirements are. Many require pro install.

Before even considering self install, check with your homeowners ins company to see what their requirements are. Many require pro install.
This varies. Some just require it to be inspected. And some don't care if the fireplace is existing. It's good to ask what they require.

I’ll definitely check before I consider doing the install. Good idea. Thank you.