1973 to 1983 jotul woodstove hookup model 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pokey1

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2009
central ohio
i'm trying to hookup an old jotul woodburner in my garage,there is exsisting double wall chimney, or stove pipe hanging down from ceiling. i have single wall to hook into it but ,don't know if there is an adapter needed to go from to the other. also,on the stove where the pipe hooks in,the actual stove coller is 43/4 outside, and 43/8 inside so trying to come out the back with aa 5'' to 6'' elbow leaves a little slop between the collar on the back of the stove and the 5'' end of the 90. any safe suggestions? thank you

you will need either an appliance connector (depends on brand of chimney pipe you have as to what will work) or a male to male single wall (has a crimp on each end) to stuff into your chimney, then run stovepipe down from it, crimps down.. as to the stove's outlet, i run into this all the time.. you can get an adaptor from jotul, or a 120mm (or is it 140mm?) to 6" adaptor from a stovepipe manufacturer to adapt to 6" standard pipe from your metric norway outlet.. or you could use the 5 to 6, and just apply a circle of 1/2" round stove gasket to the outside of the flue collar and stuff the adaptor over it for a snug, compressed fit.. make sure you tap a couple screws into this connection, or at least use a 4"-5" adjustable pipe clamp to keep it from slipping off.
also, check up with the insurance co before you get her all installed and running: some don't allow solid fuel heaters in garages anymore.

Wood stove is not allowed in a garage in most places.

Also with an old unlisted stove like that you need 36" clearance to combustibles all the way around it, unless you build a NFPA 211 style heat shield to reduce clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.