1978 russo wood stove getting too much air! Help! (rsgvr2 I believe)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikejd2020

Nov 19, 2020
Hey everyone, new to the forum here. I recently installed a new chimney liner. 30ft flex pipe, 1/2" insulated wrap run through old chimney down into fireplace and connected to my previously used russo glass view wood stove. I believe the model is rsgvr2. I connected everything, checked the draft, which seemed great, very strong ( maybe too strong? ) So I lit a small fire, it seemed to burn nicely, maybe a little hotter than I expected with the damper fully closed, but I didn't think too much of it and stoked the wood stove to capacity. So I'm laying down upstairs and I hear the rumble from the second floor. This thing is sucking so much air it's rattling the glass front which opened the air intake above the glass, causing even more air flow, higher flames, faster draft. I immediately closed the air intake on the glass view, side door, and shut the damper all the way. Which did absolutely nothing! So the rear exhaust is red hot at this point and I can hear the flames shooting up my brand new $800 chimney liner. Needless to say a couple pots of water later and I got the beast tamed and put out the fire. I will post a picture of my stove if I can. My question is, is anyone familiar with this particular stove or know why I couldn't slow down the draft or air flow? Really like the look of this wood stove and hoping I don't have to replace it. Maybe it's missing pieces I didn't know it needed, or maybe the draft is too strong for this stove? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
-Massachusettes

20201118_195800.jpg

Yes, add a key damper and check that the door gasket is sealing properly by doing the dollar bill test.

Reactions: Mikejd2020
So after installing the new key damper, I am able to control the fire a little better, but if I over load my stove ( stoke for the night) it will burn much hotter than I am comfortable with. I'm assuming this has something to do with the unsealed front glass section. I installed a fiberglass gasket on the side and top of the glass front which helped a little but I couldn't choke out a fire if the need arises. For now I guess I'll just stick to only a few pieces of wood at a time and maybe can get a pro to look at it if there's no other suggestions here. The side load gasket was good. Maybe I'm not used to seeing how big the fire is inside the stove? I think I'll also pick up one of those pipe thermometers to make sure I'm firing within range. Thanks again, and thanks in advance for Any further suggestions!
Mike