1979 hs tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8nrider

Aug 15, 2008
new hampshire
recently got a 1979 hs tarm mb 55. i was hoping to use it on a chimney with a 8" round flue but after reading specs discovered they recommend a 8 x 12. i have used the chimney and it had good draft . my biggest concern is that they recommend having only one 90 elbow or two 45's. in the pipe. ???? ii need to use 2 45's. i do realize the importance of seasoned wood. been using wood for heat for at least 30 + years, but never had a wood boiler. any feed back would be appreciated. thank you.

8" round will be fine.
Reason for the 8 x 12 suggestions is that most square 8 tiles run 7" or smaller ID, so it starts to get tight.

That is a decent boiler....

Use the shortest route and least possible turning radius to get to the chimney - 2 45's are likely to work better than 90's.....gradual turns allow smoke to flow easier.

thanks craig good moral support. i was wondering when they started using round tile ? i've torn down alot of old chimneys but never one w a round flue tile.

i find it impossible to use just 1 90 inless it is a topflued stove which the tarm is not

8nrider said:
thanks craig good moral support. i was wondering when they started using round tile ? i've torn down alot of old chimneys but never one w a round flue tile.

Round tile is best - I have seen it used in high end homes in Philly, Boston, NYC, etc......

The rumor goes that the only reason ALL chimneys do not have round tiles.....is that they do not stack and ship well.

Strange, eh?

The rumor goes that the only reason ALL chimneys do not have round tiles
They also cost more and 5 or 6" fit loose in lifts.Would need to be packed with vermiculite. You can put 3 6" in an expanded lift though.
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.