1980's Energy Tech Wood Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jadams92

May 7, 2019
Indiana
I bought a house a couple of years ago with a wood furnace in the garage. I have used it once and probably won't use it again. What would it be worth?

Reactions: Dj1969
At that age, maybe not much more than scrap steel value

Attachments

• 71048B9D-5631-4165-9D0F-AF84FE44C25E.jpeg
    71048B9D-5631-4165-9D0F-AF84FE44C25E.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2,172
  • E7154345-3C8B-40A4-9968-6619EE2C727B.jpeg
    E7154345-3C8B-40A4-9968-6619EE2C727B.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 848
  • 1C877C4D-70FA-4A26-93DB-43311A314A37.jpeg
    1C877C4D-70FA-4A26-93DB-43311A314A37.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 804
  • BEA4A069-33C8-4C32-BF8F-D8228EF0F5EE.jpeg
    BEA4A069-33C8-4C32-BF8F-D8228EF0F5EE.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 845
It doesn't look like it was used much it is probably worth a few hundred. By the way there is not much of anything that meets minimum code about that install

Yes, the pictures help. If the firebox inside is in as good shape then it may make someone a decent shop heater, so I would say $250-350 is fair.

so I would say $250-350 is fair.
Yeah that's probably about it though...would be worth that much to me to leave it installed as a heater in its existing shop...with some clearance/install tweaks as needed...some insulation in the building would make the furnace a lot more effective too...

Installed in a garage like that it would not have passed inspection on sale here.

jadams92 I have the same stove and heat my home with it. Have a question of you and started an conversation....hope you see this....Thanks Mike

Reactions: Dj1969
I have similar type of wood furnace made in Kaukauna WI in my garage (Kaukauna Freedom Furnace) . Works great for heating the garage as the fans move the heat around the garage. That said if my garage burns down due to it, my insurance will not cover the loss. I just run it when I need it and make sure any flammables are sitting outside door. I don't leave it unattended. My guess on yours is that it a bottom grate design, not very efficient but put the heat out.

I bought a house a couple of years ago with a wood furnace in the garage. I have used it once and probably won't use it again. What would it be worth?
Do you still have owners manual and stove I would like to buy . 1 502 553 4144 Thanks DJ

jadams92 I have the same stove and heat my home with it. Have a question of you and started an conversation....hope you see this....Thanks Mike
Do you have manual ? My stove is a boiler . I would like to know how may btu s are they rated at ? I have no info on these , but have been using it for over 20 yrs . Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks dj

Hello all,

Looks like Im a little late to this thread but have just a quick question on this furnace. I have an opportunity to buy a similar model for a good price but I’m just trying to do my research first. From my understanding this particular unit can actually be installed outside The home and then the air ducting is ran into the home and Into the existing duct work? Our old house has a chimney but it’s no good anymore and I don’t have the cash for a wood boiler just yet Thinking this might be a nice unit for the next three to four years while I save up for something newer.

Hello all,

Looks like Im a little late to this thread but have just a quick question on this furnace. I have an opportunity to buy a similar model for a good price but I’m just trying to do my research first. From my understanding this particular unit can actually be installed outside The home and then the air ducting is ran into the home and Into the existing duct work? Our old house has a chimney but it’s no good anymore and I don’t have the cash for a wood boiler just yet Thinking this might be a nice unit for the next three to four years while I save up for something newer.
To be honest, I would walk past the opportunity. I have not seen good feedback on these. I have really not seen anything convincing about the outdoor ducted to indoor approach being anywhere near successful, except for absolutely gobbling up wood.
I’d try to find a used woodstove / chimney package for sale locally, and run it out the wall if through the roof isn’t possible. It’d be much less of a rabbit hole to go down.

To be honest, I would walk past the opportunity. I have not seen good feedback on these. I have really not seen anything convincing about the outdoor ducted to indoor approach being anywhere near successful, except for absolutely gobbling up wood.
I’d try to find a used woodstove / chimney package for sale locally, and run it out the wall if through the roof isn’t possible. It’d be much less of a rabbit hole to go down.

Would it work any better if a guy went through the work of burying the forced air lines going to the house? Try and keep them insulated and out of the cold?

Would it work any better if a guy went through the work of burying the forced air lines going to the house? Try and keep them insulated and out of the cold?
The problem is that most of the wood you put into a furnace of that design goes out of the chimney. They’re not good at collecting the heat they produce. They overcome this by having big fire boxes and forced combustion, and an insatiable hunger for wood.
Regarding burying the ducting, it would keep it out of the wind, but the ground is very good at robbing heat too. There’s nowhere for the heat to stop; the soil just keeps sucking it in. And the ground is wet.

You would be much better off buying an old clunker of an outdoor boiler and rigging a temporary system with that. It may not be any more efficient, but would definitely work better.

Reactions: Case1030