1989 four winns 180 bowrider

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Looking at a used older boat, wondering if I should look for any known issues. I know I need to check the floors.

I owned a late 80's Four Winns (Liberator 211) a few years ago. You'll want to check the transnom. Boats of this era have wood transoms and they rot. Replacing one is pricey. If you see new screws or sealant around the swim platform bolts this may be a sign that she's been leaking. A bilge pump that looks too new may also be a sign.

The other lesson I learned the hard way is that the lower unit needs to be serviced regularly, inside and out. If the boat you're looking at is an outboard this would not apply. But if it's I/O you'll want to ask if the u-joint in the lower unit has been lubed regularly or not. Detonating one of those gems is a great time.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hey, I'm looking at boats too......but I am partial to outboards and to brands that are/were VERY well known for lasting decades, etc.

Can you find any Trophies, Boston Whalers, etc? Good boats and you will always get most of what you paid when you sell. I think that a lot of the I/O boats (at least here) of other brands are quickly going into the "please take it away" price range.

Here's a heck of a boat.....
http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/863547439.html

Webmaster said:
Hey, I'm looking at boats too......but I am partial to outboards and to brands that are/were VERY well known for lasting decades, etc.

Can you find any Trophies, Boston Whalers, etc? Good boats and you will always get most of what you paid when you sell. I think that a lot of the I/O boats (at least here) of other brands are quickly going into the "please take it away" price range.

I like outboards better as well but, there seem to be only a few. I figured its the best time to start shopping is now, low prices, season end, heating cost scare!!! That is a nice boat, I'm more of a lake guy though. Trying to get into the family ski, tube, etc. We live 10 mins from the public landing at the river, I should get over my ocean/tide fears and explore.

There are pros and cons to both I/O's and outboards. One nice part about I/O's is that the motors are typically easy to work on and usually share some components with car motors. This can make parts cheaper and easier to find.

You know what the say - a boat is a big hole in the water you dump money into. And - the happiest day for a boat owner is the day he buys his boat. The second happiest is the day he sells it. Ha. I can attest to both!

Webmaster said:

Nah.... Craig get a Sea Ray
or one of these..... :)

Attachments

• Boating 053 (Small).JPG
    Boating 053 (Small).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 284
Status
Not open for further replies.