1989 Osburn Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kballein

Jan 7, 2018
Southwest Ohio
Hi,

I recently purchased an Osburn insert built in 1989, but no model number on the tag.

It is in very good condition and cleaning and painting. It a solid cast iron door brass plated with a two speed fan box mounted on the front. It will handle a 16 inch log. Seems very similar to a Osburn 1100.

The issue is we cannot get it to burn well, with having the door slightly open. It has a air jacket around the insert with a blower. The draft control is on the side with a sliding metal gate underneath.

The insert didn't come with any legs, so it's sitting flush on the fireplace floor. There are nuts welded on the back sides that appear to be for leveling. It seems the insert simply isn't getting enough air. Does the bottom of the insert need to be raised on the fireplace floor to supply enough draft air? If so, how much. It is a very small fireplace with only about an 1.5 inches to spare.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi,

I recently purchased an Osburn insert built in 1989, but no model number on the tag.

It is in very good condition and cleaning and painting. It a solid cast iron door brass plated with a two speed fan box mounted on the front. It will handle a 16 inch log. Seems very similar to a Osburn 1100.

The issue is we cannot get it to burn well, with having the door slightly open. It has a air jacket around the insert with a blower. The draft control is on the side with a sliding metal gate underneath.

The insert didn't come with any legs, so it's sitting flush on the fireplace floor. There are nuts welded on the back sides that appear to be for leveling. It seems the insert simply isn't getting enough air. Does the bottom of the insert need to be raised on the fireplace floor to supply enough draft air? If so, how much. It is a very small fireplace with only about an 1.5 inches to spare.

Thanks,
Ken
Is the insert hooked to a liner?

Osburn 1000?

No, there is no liner. It is a regular masonary fireplace and had plenty draw before.
Burning an insert just slid into the fireplace like you have is no longer allowed by code because it is very unsafe and it just doesnt work well. The flue is oversized and there is lots of dilution air leakage that destroys draft. It also leads to excessive creosote formation creating a large potential for a chimney fire which with all of the air leaks could be very intense. It can also lead to co leakage into the house at the end of the fire if the draft stalls.

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't burn well until you have a liner in place for it. How big is the flue of the chimney?

Offhand, I don't know, but a standard chimney cap fit in place. I think it's an 8x8 standard flue liner.
If is is a square flue on a fireplace chances are it is 12x12. If it is actually 8x8 it isnot terribly oversized but that doesnt change the issues with the lack of any connection between the stove and the flue

It's at my son's house, so can't really measure the flu. I did put rockwool insulation around the stove to help seal the gap between the insert and the fireplace. The thing that seems strange to me is the air inlet is on the bottom front of the stove, with the only opening being the slot for the draft control. I think there is suppose to be something to lift the stove up to get air in. I did burn it outside after painting it to let the fumes burn off with it sitting on blocks and seems to draft just fine and was able to control the air with the draft control. Now the fire just goes out when you shut the door completely.

It's at my son's house, so can't really measure the flu. I did put rockwool insulation around the stove to help seal the gap between the insert and the fireplace. The thing that seems strange to me is the air inlet is on the bottom front of the stove, with the only opening being the slot for the draft control. I think there is suppose to be something to lift the stove up to get air in. I did burn it outside after painting it to let the fumes burn off with it sitting on blocks and seems to draft just fine and was able to control the air with the draft control. Now the fire just goes out when you shut the door completely.
To get air in where? Regardless burning it the way it is is dangerous

Yes, it's under the insert, which makes me think it shouldn't be sitting flush on the floor of the fireplace.
Are you sure it is an insertand not a freestander with the legs cut off? It makes no sense for an insert to have the intack on the bottom. They all sit on the fireplace floor.

Are you sure it is an insertand not a freestander with the legs cut off? It makes no sense for an insert to have the intack on the bottom. They all sit on the fireplace floor.
Actually, I can't say for sure, but there doesn't appear to be any place where the legs were attached. It's possible.

Actually, I can't say for sure, but there doesn't appear to be any place where the legs were attached. It's possible.
Can you post a pic?

I'll post a pic tomorrow. It's at my son's house. Actually, it did come with a fireplace surround. I expect it's an insert.

I temporarily blocked up the front of the insert. It's working fine now. The door is completely closed in the pic below. Thanks for all the replies. Now I need to make some metal feet for the front of the insert.

fO8TQ73VtCw77XWNNjqAYHRyr5rHHmDjrfxF_D4QfVvGyimzbR7ijddePsy7qzYI8f53TuARrafvtew&owa=outlook.live.jpg

I temporarily blocked up the front of the insert. It's working fine now. The door is completely closed in the pic below. Thanks for all the replies. Now I need to make some metal feet for the front of the insert.

View attachment 220328
You really really should not be burning that installed the way it is. Especially once you make legs for it. It really is dangerous.

Something doesn't add up here. Inserts don't usually take air from the bottom of the stove. Is there a label on the side or back of this stove?

Something doesn't add up here. Inserts don't usually take air from the bottom of the stove. Is there a label on the side or back of this stove?
I agree it is odd

I agree it is odd

Yes, there was a label, but I don't have a picture of it. It draws just fine now and the damper controls the fire.

I have an insert myself. A Wonderwarm and the air controls are in the doors. I thought it was pretty strange myself.

Please get the label information for make and model. This is not a safe installation.