1991 Horton roofing help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncrebel

Jun 26, 2015
Seven Springs NC
Hi, I have a 1991 Horton 14 x 66 with shingled A roof. My roof started leaking in October 2014. Due to no time to fix the problem myself i started calling roofers in Nov 2014. NOBODY had time to get to it and kept telling us call back in a month and they would see what they could do or either they would set something up and never show up. Well now here it is almost July 2015 and still the same thing. Now the roof is beyond leaking and the whole roof over the living room looks like it is going to fall in. I do have a past in patch roofing with shingles and new setup dw shingles and now have time to do it myself but it looks so bad i am worried i'm going to fall through the roof if i get on it. My question now since i rambled enough is 1) does anyone know the rafter sizing in the 1991 Horton A shingle roof? 2) what would i be looking at if i strip and go to a metal roof? Doing an inside out remodel anyway. New siding, new insulation, real ceder inside walls and so on so yeah just need to get this roof done first. Any help would be awesome! Thanks!!

I would call the MFG if still around and ask. I had a home from about 1982 round top sheet metal ( thin )everything on that unit was 2x2, working on that roof required only stepping where the 2x2 were or placing a 4x8x1/2 sheet of osb under yourself to spread weight out. Neighbor across the way had something about your time period -he had no trouble stripping and re-shingling. But as you have mentioned a years worth of leaking you can figure on some rotted out sections for sure.
Due to the weight of a shingle roof I would hazard a guess that it is 2x4 up there. The park I was in had the bright idea to make everyone with the old round tops switch to a peaked roof, I personally shot them down - as I called the mfg to see if the side walls could support the extra weight, was told no way - got it in writing and passed it on to the powers that be.

My place the floor was particle board with a sheet of plastic over it and then what ever flooring on top of that - had a corner leak in roof took out floor in that corner- that was a "fun" fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.