1st fire with morso 1125g problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

P8BALLERBV19

Nov 30, 2020
Nj
Unsure of its just a draft issue but smoke seemed to be pouring out of places that i feel should have been sealed. Stove was given to me from my brothers old house. Leaked very badly along some of the seems of the top and front angled plate. stove is in basement with 8 inch from the top to a 90 and out the wall to a cinder block chimney

0224210907.jpg 0224210907a.jpg

This is very likely a draft issue. Was the chimney thoroughly cleaned and inspected before connecting the stove?

If the stove is disconnected, is there draft at the chimney thimble? If you hold a cigarette or incense stick in front of the thimble, is the smoke pulled into it?

Negative pressure in basements is a common problem. If there is significant air leakage to outdoor on the upper floor(s) that can exacerbate the problem. Leakage can be open windows, unsealed ceiling vent (or doorway) to the attic. Exhaust fans (kitchen, bath, dryer) can also make the problem worse as can a competing appliance like a furnace or gas/oil hot water heater.

Home was just recently air sealed and re insulated in the attics, local shop just recommend to take a hair dryer and try to preheat the flue, will try that before I try to disconnect and test your way

Attachments

• 1217201556.jpg
    1217201556.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 202
Reactions: MR. GLO
If the chimney is exterior then it could be a cold chimney issue. It's worth a try to preheat it with a heat gun or hair dryer on high. Some folks put a few big candles in the stove and burn them for 30 min. before lighting.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Once i got the fire rolling I shut the door, barely closed and put the damper to half way and temp dropped to about 250 at the thermomter that sits about 1 ft above the damper. Seems like a large drop no?

Once i got the fire rolling I shut the door, barely closed and put the damper to half way and temp dropped to about 250 at the thermometer that sits about 1 ft above the damper. Seems like a large drop no?
What was the temp on the stovepipe before closing the flue damper? The performance is going to be based on the strength of the draft, the quality (and dryness) of the firewood, the amount of air the fire gets, and the warmness of the chimney. It will take a while to warm up the outside chimney. If the draft is weak or the wood is not fully seasoned, you may not need to close the flue damper at all.

Is that a magnetic thermometer on the surface or a probe in the flue gases?

Also (given draft concerns), how tall is your chimney?

Looks like single-wall stove pipe.

Reactions: stoveliker
Stove pipe was reading 350 400 plus draft was rather good when I pre heated the flue. Chimney length is at least 25 ft and probe is on the single wall pipe

and probe is on the single wall pipe
Is this a surface mount magnetic thermometer or a probe thermometer with a hole drilled in the stovepipe?

If the chimney was inspected upon stove installation, (and all was right), then the start up problems may be weather related (if intermittent). The heat gun is a good way to avoid this then. It may also be helpful if you can crack a window in the room where the stove is during start up.

Those flue temps look good to me.

When I close up the doors they drop to like 250. Thought that was a big drop, open the doors and the logs light instantly back up. Ill take a few vids next burn i do

I use a propane torch to preheat the flue if it’s a cold start on a cold day. Works like a charm on a cold day.

Reactions: mtcox1791
Ah, ok. That is a big drop for only closing the door (i.e. not touching the air inlet and flue damper).

With open doors there is no smoke coming out? (Meaning your chimney pulls enough).

I am not familiar with this stove, so forgive any obvious ignorance , but is it clear that your air inlet is open enough? I.e. is it opening as much as you need, or is something stuck? Sounds to me your stove could use more air...

Good, glad to hear it. Thats a cool looking stove.

When I close up the doors they drop to like 250. Thought that was a big drop, open the doors and the logs light instantly back up. Ill take a few vids next burn i do
That could be because less flame and heat are heading up the flue. Or if the fire is smoldering, it could be that the wood is not fully seasoned.

The door handle on this stove is hollow and will admit air depending on its position. Here is how to operate:
Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 12.55.10 PM.png

Be patient. Try some store-bought wood if the firewood dryness is in doubt.