1st Garden Harvest!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I was putting seeds in and happened to look over...

The rhubarb is just starting to push back the soil and the horseradish is still nub sized.

I have a couple of those sticking out of my patch as well. The wild stuff around me doesn't appear to be up yet. (we need some heat).

We've been picking for a couple weeks from our scrawny patch. Can't wait until it really matures.

Question:
Do you cut at ground or underground level? That method appears to be the suggested way to do it. I have never harvested from a planted patch (always wild) and never paid much attention till recently.

The Royal Horticulture Society (UK) says 1" below the ground with a sharp knife. Iowa University recommends snapping them which would be above ground level. I have always cut them just above the ground.

From the research I have done, I have heard that snapping them, especially if young, will do more harm to the plant. Just trying to vet out the different info I have read.

I use a sharp pair of scissors and cut even with the ground. I've read of both versions and figure if both are recommended then both ways probably work fine and I'd rather just eat the asparagus than worry about an inch or 2 of cutting height.

Status
Not open for further replies.