1st thought on new Quadrafire fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1oldgoaly

Nov 20, 2018
Shiloh, Il.
We just got a new 4100 fire place insert to go into the fireplace we had redone 30 years ago with a grate heater, doors and a Ahrens lining. It was rated at 24,000 btus. The new one was installed on Friday and have been burn low to give it time to break in. Saturday evening the wife adds wood 4 pcs. Damn does that thing put out some heat!
Some thoughts the secondary air is not in an easy to reach spot. Primary air handle could use a little longer / cooler extension. The blower motor made a "hooling" like owl hooting for a few minutes, this has not happened again. Not a sound a motor makes when the bearings or bushing are dry. The insert does make some tinny clinks and clunks.
Overall thoughts are good wishing had bought one years ago, used less wood in 3 days than would have in a day with the grate heater. Plus it's a whole lot warmer too! We are on the 4th or 5th year with a Isle Royal in the basement and love the stove, that is why we went with the Quadrafire insert.

fireplaceinsert01.jpeg
Have a great New Year!

Glad you are enjoying it! I've always loved the looks of that insert. Love the shape of the firebox too (wish I could load mine north/south like the 4100).

Do those side windows stay clear for you?

About 4am this morning the wind picked and the flue made a whistling noise. Different tone for sure, the old chimney was a deeper tone and the damper would lift a little the clunk back down. I have been turning the fan on manually but want to see how hot it got before it came on in automatic. HOT! and the wife come to see why it smell hot. So I'm going to turn it on manually and once it has been burning switch over to automatic so it can go off when the fire dies out.

With my insert I usually turn the fan on manual unless it's freshly swept out since the ash insulates the switch. After 3-4 cycles there's enough ash to delay start up. Turns off fine once on auto so no real downside.

I'm glad you like your stove. I'm thinking of getting the Quadrafire 5100i because it has the largest firebox that I can find. I'm putting the insert into an old fireplace in a partially finished basement in the center of the house and I really need some heat output down there. The Quadrafire seems pricey compared to other brands. It retails for $3532. My local dealer quoted me at $5,100 for total install including the liner and liner insulation. Does anyone have any thoughts on this insert?

So it has been a year, got a few things to pass along. Last March after the door came of in my hand, the installer replaced the door. The had worked loose, tightened it several times. When handle is tight it grinds when locking it down. Just does not seem right? Also the hinge pin on the upper hinge is rising up. So I sent pics to the installers, after a week they informed us that Quadrafire authorized the insert to be replaced with a new model. That will be later this month.
It's going right now and it's heating most of the upper level of the house. Oh the door is dirty, only cleaned it once, not a fun job! I do notice I have the lower air control rod in / on all the time, almost never had it on last year. My guess the main face casting is warped a little or the holes are off? No way to check specially while it's on and hot!

Friday they replaced the 4100 with an Expedition II, it's a little wider so the opening had to be enlarged. The ACC lever is odd, just doesn't feel like it does anything? After fiddling with it I got a nice hot fire and it work nicely. Then pushed it again to add wood after it had burned down, nope just starving for air, after a while fiddled more with it worked.
It's not the same as the 4100, must not be a mechanical timer. Gonna call them later to ask

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 115
Hope you end up liking the Expedition II as much as the 4100. Do you find that they burn similarly? I ask because it was my understanding that besides the ACC to provide some extra startup air there is no user adjustable air control on the Expedition II which I would think would translate to faster burns and not necessarily more heat (well, more heat up the flue but not in the room)

The 4100 projected out onto the hearth, the Expedition is flush. How has that affected heating so far?