2 solid fuel - 1 flue, need insight.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RawBurns

Nov 3, 2021
Massachusetts
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased my first home, and the woodstove/pellet stove was an as-is situation.
The inspector did tell me they cannot be vented into the same flue prior to the purchase but this wasnt a deal breaker for me. I am trying to figure out a way i can make this legal/up to code. Attached are two pictures, one of the woodstove on the first floor (hearthstone2 i believe, old but looks well inside and out) and a heatilator eco-choice cab50 pelletstove in the unfinished basement. Whats my best option to get this to code so i can start using both stoves? I was thinking somehow vent the pelletstove between that window and chimney but wasnt sure since i really dont want to move that pelletstove off the hearth, its in a perfect spot to push air through a doorway and towards the upstairs. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

FE9B968E-AC41-432B-938E-321A99CB425E.jpeg 0B263117-F4AE-4864-A4A3-3663200B7FD4.jpeg

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased my first home, and the woodstove/pellet stove was an as-is situation.
The inspector did tell me they cannot be vented into the same flue prior to the purchase but this wasnt a deal breaker for me. I am trying to figure out a way i can make this legal/up to code. Attached are two pictures, one of the woodstove on the first floor (hearthstone2 i believe, old but looks well inside and out) and a heatilator eco-choice cab50 pelletstove in the unfinished basement. Whats my best option to get this to code so i can start using both stoves? I was thinking somehow vent the pelletstove between that window and chimney but wasnt sure since i really dont want to move that pelletstove off the hearth, its in a perfect spot to push air through a doorway and towards the upstairs. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

View attachment 284696 View attachment 284697
Move the pellet stove and direct vent it out the side wall.

Reactions: MEngineer24
Move the pellet stove and direct vent it out the side wall.
You mean slightly off the hearth and inbetween the window as mentioned? I could move it to the left of hearth too there is just a built in ac unit upstairs id have to rip out and cover which i should do anyway. I just liked its positioning on the hearth and didnt want to move it but figured the piping would look crazy and function less possibly. Guess ill be moving it :/

Why couldn't the pellet stove stay in place and have the pellet venting punched out the back side of the chimney as its in the basement and the wood stove is a floor above?

Why couldn't the pellet stove stay in place and have the pellet venting punched out the back side of the chimney as its in the basement and the wood stove is a floor above?
That idea never crossed my mind. I believe there would still be 12” clearance to the ground after it punched through. My only concern than would be that the cleanout for the chimney is behind the pellet stove. The pipe running theough might make sweeping it harder, not sure what kind of clearance there would be for creosote/ buildup to fall on the sides of where the pipe would be going through.

That idea never crossed my mind. I believe there would still be 12” clearance to the ground after it punched through. My only concern than would be that the cleanout for the chimney is behind the pellet stove. The pipe running theough might make sweeping it harder, not sure what kind of clearance there would be for creosote/ buildup to fall on the sides of where the pipe would be going through.

I'm not sure if that's allowed or not, just a thought. Maybe it would be okay if a liner was also installed at the same time for the main floor wood stove?