Flue Beyond Repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
Good Morning,
I recently had my wood insert with stainless liner swept as well as my main level open fireplace swept. During the sweep of the upstairs fireplace they indicated that the Lintel needed to be parged. I scheduled that visit and they also said that they would scope the flue during that repair. Once that was complete I received an email (No discussion from the technician) stating that in order to use the main fireplace I would have to utilize a stainless liner and purchase a pellet/Gas/Insert to utilize the chimney safely.

I asked if this is repairable and if I can use it lightly during this winter as we are already in October and there is not much time to search out options and spend the money. Their response is below.
"As we follow industry standards, your fireplace flue would require repair prior to first use as per NFPA211 code standard due to it being gapped and cracked. The purpose of your chimney is to safely vent gases, created from a fire, from your home. Any gaps and cracks can cause these gases to escape into your home. Combustible creosote or soot can also escape through these openings and build up outside the flue liner. As brushes from a standard sweep cannot reach the areas, between the outside of your flue liner and the inside brick of your chimney, the likelihood of this creosoot catching fire increases since the fire can no longer be contained within the flue. I have attached images of your flue's cracks and gaps below for your convenience. "

I am looking for the brain trust here to assist me in determining the severity of my existing flue. The house was build in 1971 and is a masonry chimney. I am not opposed to incorporating a wood burning insert but the challenge that I have is that the house is not an open floorplan and the room is relatively small. I am afraid to be sweated out of the room too often. The other challenge is that the house thermostat is on the opposing wall just outside of the family room and I am concerned that this would cause the rest of the house to be too cool. A thermostat unit would be great but we don't have gas to the house and I am not thrilled about having additional fuels to maintain (Pellets/Gas).

Pics.

037aa07b97581ed920211014-24372-dbtp4r.jpg 17d94666bd10dbe020211014-27123-1sjznka.jpg 8a4df15dd2b23c6220211014-30429-eg2ybb.jpg 037aa07b97581ed920211014-24372-dbtp4r.jpg

Good Morning,
I recently had my wood insert with stainless liner swept as well as my main level open fireplace swept. During the sweep of the upstairs fireplace they indicated that the Lintel needed to be parged. I scheduled that visit and they also said that they would scope the flue during that repair. Once that was complete I received an email (No discussion from the technician) stating that in order to use the main fireplace I would have to utilize a stainless liner and purchase a pellet/Gas/Insert to utilize the chimney safely.

I asked if this is repairable and if I can use it lightly during this winter as we are already in October and there is not much time to search out options and spend the money. Their response is below.
"As we follow industry standards, your fireplace flue would require repair prior to first use as per NFPA211 code standard due to it being gapped and cracked. The purpose of your chimney is to safely vent gases, created from a fire, from your home. Any gaps and cracks can cause these gases to escape into your home. Combustible creosote or soot can also escape through these openings and build up outside the flue liner. As brushes from a standard sweep cannot reach the areas, between the outside of your flue liner and the inside brick of your chimney, the likelihood of this creosoot catching fire increases since the fire can no longer be contained within the flue. I have attached images of your flue's cracks and gaps below for your convenience. "

I am looking for the brain trust here to assist me in determining the severity of my existing flue. The house was build in 1971 and is a masonry chimney. I am not opposed to incorporating a wood burning insert but the challenge that I have is that the house is not an open floorplan and the room is relatively small. I am afraid to be sweated out of the room too often. The other challenge is that the house thermostat is on the opposing wall just outside of the family room and I am concerned that this would cause the rest of the house to be too cool. A thermostat unit would be great but we don't have gas to the house and I am not thrilled about having additional fuels to maintain (Pellets/Gas).

Pics.

View attachment 283748 View attachment 283749 View attachment 283750 View attachment 283751
Yeah that liner is bad and needs replaced. It could be with an insert and smaller liner. Or a large one for an open fireplace

Yeah that liner is bad and needs replaced. It could be with an insert and smaller liner. Or a large one for an open fireplace
When you say large one for an open fireplace, what do you mean by large?
I'm in a relatively similar situation, didn't know what size stainless steel liner I would need for an open fireplace currently venting into 11x11 interior clay tile lined

When you say large one for an open fireplace, what do you mean by large?
I'm in a relatively similar situation, didn't know what size stainless steel liner I would need for an open fireplace currently venting into 11x11 interior clay tile lined
The size is based upon the firebox opening. The ratio should be about 10-1

The size is based upon the firebox opening. The ratio should be about 10-1
Gotcha - so if I had a fireplace that had an opening height of 26.5" and opening width of 34" (roughly opening of 900 sq in or 6.25 sq ft) you're saying a 10" liner (plus insulation wrap) should work? For reference my chimney height above throat damper is roughly 19'

Gotcha - so if I had a fireplace that had an opening height of 26.5" and opening width of 34" (roughly opening of 900 sq in or 6.25 sq ft) you're saying a 10" liner (plus insulation wrap) should work? For reference my chimney height above throat damper is roughly 19'
No you would need an 11" liner. 10" is only 78 sq inches

It’s going to get cleaned no matter what you do. That’s a fixed cost.

After putting a stove In Our fireplace I would never go back to an open fireplace. Just the air quality difference alone is worth the switch. And now I can get real heat out. Only down side of an insert is needing really dry wood. Shop around I just did a DIY insert for 2000$. FWIW. It won’t see but 30 -40 loads a year I’m guessing. It’s way better than burning the fireplace.

Just my thoughts

Evan