2 Story Colonial with 2 fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LolaH

Jan 26, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi everyone! I have a 2 story Colonial home with 2 fireplaces (one on each side of the main floor) and I have a fireplace insert scheduled for installation soon. I have a question about which fireplace to use for for the insert.

1. Formal living room. Front of house. Mostly open to the upstairs. (2 story foyer/living area). Not much of a hang out spot.

2. Family room. Back of house- open to kitchen. Primary hang out area. 1 story ceilings.

I'm not sure it matters but it's a Quadrafire Trekker pellet insert for heating up to 2900sf. If I put it in the living room, will all the heat rise to the 2nd floor and leave the main floor cold? Or will putting it in the family room/kitchen get very hot before the heat can spread throughout? I'm overwhelmed and could really use some advice. Thanks!

I vote installing where ever you spend the most time.

stoves/inserts are space heaters. It’s good to have the space where you spend the most time the warmest. Plus I like watching the flames. After everything quiets down for the night.