2-stroke "stink"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
My wife has a hatred for the smell of 2-stroke exhaust which I may never fully appreciate, having mostly destroyed my own sense of smell with too many years of playing with hot rods, paints, and other chemicals. She insists on constantly bleaching all of my outdoor work gear, claiming it's the only way to get that exhaust smell out of them. Of course, this completely ruins every pair of good work pants I own, long before they would fail otherwise, as the bleach slowly eats the heavy cloth over the course of dozens of washings per year.

What have you folks found, other than bleach, that eliminates this odor? I try convincing her to just let them smell, it doesn't bother me any, but she claims the smell infects everything else going into the machine afterwards. I'm not sure I believe it, but in the name of domestic tranquility, I just let it go and buy new work wear on a frequent basis.

What really bothers me is that, when I get a work shirt or work pants I really like, and then find them destroyed by bleach consumption a year later, sometimes I can't find a duplicate of the same available anymore.

Someone in another recent thread also mentioned that the Stihl platinum synthetic smells worse than other 2-stroke oils. That may be a factor, as that's mostly what I use. But I think she had a problem with this smell even before I was using that particular product.

maby buy here a new washer? lol.. I have no issues with the smell after being washed and nothing else that goes into the wash afterwards smells that's what laundry soap is for...

On a side note if she is that anal about it buy a old school washer and dryer for your shop/garage and wash your work cloth's out their ( or prewash them out their and then bring them in).. Nothing gets them as clean as a old school with a real agitator in them. We just went out and purchased almost top of the line equipment and it gets things clean but not as clean as my old set.. But try telling the wife that is another story all she see's it that it is much bigger and that = less loads of laundry..LOL. This new stuff uses so little water that its impossible to get things clean clean..

Reactions: tlc1976
Reactions: Ashful
She sounds like a fun person to live with.

How hard is it to run an empty/washer clean load with bleach to get the 'infection' out for subsequent loads?

Wash your workwear, run the cleaning load, then wash the next one infection-free.

Reactions: Newbie78
maby buy here a new washer? lol.. I have no issues with the smell after being washed and nothing else that goes into the wash afterwards smells that's what laundry soap is for...
We've been thru a few new washers in the last 12 years. Current one was top of the line Bosch, before that the top of the line LG. I don't think we need another new washer.

On a side note if she is that anal about it buy a old school washer and dryer for your shop/garage and wash your work cloth's out their ( or prewash them out their and then bring them in)..
I have thought of just getting another washer, we actually have three laundry rooms in this house, although two have been re-purposed for other things. But I don't believe the agitator makes much difference here. Yes, they're great for getting dirt out of clothes, but I can't see how they'd make much difference in chemical smell.

How hard is it to run an empty/washer clean load with bleach to get the 'infection' out for subsequent loads?
The washer already seems to run damn near continuously, as she and the kids all go thru more than one outfit per day. I'd like to not add even more load to our septic system, as they're already hitting it way too hard. Plus, she has a career and still does the laundry and other housework, it's easier for me to just buy new clothes than to add extra work to her schedule.

Last edited:
Are you running full synthetic mix oil?

My wife has a hatred for the smell of 2-stroke exhaust which I may never fully appreciate, having mostly destroyed my own sense of smell with too many years of playing with hot rods, paints, and other chemicals. She insists on constantly bleaching all of my outdoor work gear, claiming it's the only way to get that exhaust smell out of them. Of course, this completely ruins every pair of good work pants I own, long before they would fail otherwise, as the bleach slowly eats the heavy cloth over the course of dozens of washings per year.

What have you folks found, other than bleach, that eliminates this odor? I try convincing her to just let them smell, it doesn't bother me any, but she claims the smell infects everything else going into the machine afterwards. I'm not sure I believe it, but in the name of domestic tranquility, I just let it go and buy new work wear on a frequent basis.

What really bothers me is that, when I get a work shirt or work pants I really like, and then find them destroyed by bleach consumption a year later, sometimes I can't find a duplicate of the same available anymore.

Someone in another recent thread also mentioned that the Stihl platinum synthetic smells worse than other 2-stroke oils. That may be a factor, as that's mostly what I use. But I think she had a problem with this smell even before I was using that particular product.
Simple green

She sounds like a fun person to live with.

Wash your workwear, run the cleaning load, then wash the next one infection-free.
todays washers take a very long time to run through a cycle, even a quick cycle.

Switch to Klotz? ;lol
Not sure if you were joking, but I did check the Klotz site. Not sure which of their many 2-stroke formulas would be most appropriate for saws and trimmers, but are you saying this has less "stink" than what I'm running presently?

Of all the suggestions, I'm leaning toward trying GrumpyDad's Simple Green recommendation. One of my many chitty high-school jobs was wiping down gas pumps with that stuff, and I grew to hate it, but my sense of smell today is so diminished that it may not bother me as much anymore.

Not sure if you were joking, but I did check the Klotz site. Not sure which of their many 2-stroke formulas would be most appropriate for saws and trimmers, but are you saying this has less "stink" than what I'm running presently?
I was only half kidding...I'd have to look to see what they have that would be right for air cooled OPE...but if you have never been around someone running Klotz, it smells amazing! They even make Klotz scented candles!
I know some saw guys do use it, so...

Amazon product ASIN B01LXSC7MU

Looks like any of the Klotz could be used for air cooled OPE with premix gas...but they specifically list chainsaws/etc on the black label oil.
I always loved riding with guys that used it in their bikes...smells so good...you have to try at least 1 bottle! ;lol

Overalls whenever the weather allows.

I like to let the clothes soak overnight in several times the normal detergent dose. The agitation helps, every time it turns over surfaces and squeezes it’s getting more gunk out. Old school top loader is best, but even a laundry sink would work. If your shop is heated, put it out there, and keep it out of your septic system.

You could even keep the clothes out there. I usually don’t wash my shop clothes till I’m actually done with the job, kinda pointless.

Just hang your clothes in the garage. They’re work clothes, who cares if they get progressively dirtier.

Women are weird, lol. I can get out of the shower, go directly to bed, the wife will come in and tell me that she can smell me. I think a good part of it is in their head, but I know better than to say that again, lol.

If it's available on your washer setup , you could try the steam/disinfect cycle., and possibly not have any need to use bleach.

Probably easiest to wash your work clothes yourself.

Not sure if this will work but on Tech type fabric (work out clothes) it is almost impossible to get the sweat smell out. Cup of white vinegar in the wash does the trick.

Reactions: fbelec
On a side note, just had a Forester that worked for me retire. I know it's weird but I'd stroll by his cubicle just to smell the oil, diesel, sawdust and sweat smell. My dad worked in the woods his whole life and had the ever present smell of cigarettes, oil and sawdust. Everytime I went by his cubicle I could swear my dad was there. I worked in a mill for years and we heated logs in a caustic hot water vat. The worst smell ever. The only time work clothes were allowed in the house was to wash them and put them back out in the mud room for the next wearing.

I like to let the clothes soak overnight in several times the normal detergent dose. The agitation helps, every time it turns over surfaces and squeezes it’s getting more gunk out. Old school top loader is best, but even a laundry sink would work. If your shop is heated, put it out there, and keep it out of your septic system.

You could even keep the clothes out there. I usually don’t wash my shop clothes till I’m actually done with the job, kinda pointless.
i agree you put a good dirty load in old and new and you will see the difference when you pull them out. Old school works better every time.

If it's available on your washer setup , you could try the steam/disinfect cycle., and possibly not have any need to use bleach.
So, that's what that button is for! Always saw the "disinfect" button on newer machines, never bothered to read what it's about.

Looks like any of the Klotz could be used for air cooled OPE with premix gas...but they specifically list chainsaws/etc on the black label oil.
I always loved riding with guys that used it in their bikes...smells so good...you have to try at least 1 bottle! ;lol
Definitely going to check it out. Never tried the stuff, myself! All of my motor sports have always been 4-stroke, so never really had a good opportunity for it.

Cup of white vinegar in the wash does the trick.
Thanks! She uses vinegar for so much stuff around the house that I'd be surprised if she hasn't tried it, but I will ask. If it's this easy, I'll be thrilled!

Probably easiest to wash your work clothes yourself.
Yeah, and then the next completely unrelated malfunction of the machine will be my fault! She doesn't touch my OPE, and I don't touch her laundry equipment. I'll buy a new pair of pants every week, if I have to, to keep it that way! ;lol

Reactions: fbelec and EbS-P
How about an electric chainsaw or even more exotic a hydraulic chainsaw?

I would dilute her bleach.

she's over-reacting. Just tell her that....

I double dog-dare you. No, make that a triple dog-dare