$20 Hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slls

Minister of Fire
Jun 9, 2008
central maine Lat 45
IMG_0678_1_1.jpg

I had some plywood, 5/8 left over from other projects so used that. I bought some ceramic tile on sale at HD for $10.89 for 11 piece box. Wanted a darker color but could not pass up the price.

Was going to make it square but cut off corners looked too good. The HD where I bought the tile no longer cuts . I have a skil saw and masonry disc from other projects.

Set the blade to cut 1/16 in at time with some water, surprising it worked. Set the tile with silicone adhesive sealer, held down with railroad rails.
Used straight cement for grout, had it on hand left over from other projects.
I know one thing it sure is heavy. Here a pix, kind of crude but cheap.

You are going to need to put 1/2" cement board between the tiles and plywood.

I was told by my stove dealer you don't have to use cement board under the tiles, plywood is acceptable. You just need a none combustible surface for a pellet stove. Were they wrong?

I did not use the cement board. I just used marble that is about 1" thick on top of plywood which sits on top of my laminate floor.

The requirement for a pellet stove is the surface needs to be non combustible, the ceramic fills that requirement. The Harmon manual states a 20 gauge sheet steel is all that is needed, not pretty though.

I think it looks very good.Grout it and you could get 200 bucks.

Looks far better than the fireproof "stove board" my friends
husband bought to go under their p38.

Thanks for the poster who liked it. Have to pinch pennies after buying a $2700 pellet stove and $747 for pellets.

Should do the trick for you just fine. It looks a lot like mine though I used the cement board as it was pretty cheap. Problem with mine is that the front tiles got loosened probably from tripping over them as its in a bad place for that. I double buttered the tiles and board with the same tri flex tile adhesive I used on my kitchen floor years back. The front tiles have managed to pry loose with time. If I had the space which I didn't it would have been better to make some of perimeter out of wooden molding to help keep it in place. Something possibly for anyone building one of these to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.