2007 VESTA Award

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
I noticed the 2007 VESTA Award for woodstoves went to The Avalon Arbor.What makes this stove better than the Pacific Energy Summit?

The VESTA award is for innovation. The Summit has been around for quite awhile. The cross draft system on the Avalon and top loading probably sealed the deal for it.

Kind of strange that it won though. The technology isn't new, it's the same stove as teh Leyden with some tree branches cast in instead of eagle heads. Nice stove though, I'm thinking of buying one.

If the Avalon Arbor won in 2007, who won in 2008?

The 2008 award is for the 2007 year(edit: nevermind I was wrong about this). The cross draft is almost identical to the Everburn, just different names.

Corie, thanks for the link.

Some of the Rais stoves look more like a large screen CRT then a wood stove. ;-)

I knida like there soapstone versions of there stoves, especially the option of putting a soapstone top put on them.

Corie, that's a very interesting site,thanks.The Rais stoves are beautiful however I'm not able to decifer BTUs to square feet of heat.There is also no indication of burns times of useful heat,anyone have any clues?I 'd like to know the standards they use to award a stove.

I noticed a difference between the Arbor/Leyden vs the everburn stoves is the 2 ceramic shoes that exhaust into the secondary burn chamber. The Everburn stoves have 1 shoe but a little larger.

I really like the looks of the Arbor and the top loading feature. Just not too sure about the cross draft burn. I think they need to tweak it a bit to make it more user friendly.

There are no "standards" per say. The stoves are nominated by the manufacturer. Vesta judges view each stove, ask questions and then decide on finalists and winners (if any).

The judges are almost always impartial people from the hearth industry. Rod (hearthtools) is a Vesta judge, I think, although obviously he wasn't this year because he didn't attend the show. He may be able to shed slightly more light on the subject. I wanted to enter this year, but didn't feel we had NEARLY an innovative enough product to win. I will say however, that our product is a BIG step towards Vesta awards in the future. The burnpot and heat transfer system is oddly simple, but very efficient at transferring heat. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but, TOOT TOOT! haha

Corie said:
There are no "standards" per say. The stoves are nominated by the manufacturer. Vesta judges view each stove, ask questions and then decide on finalists and winners (if any).

The judges are almost always impartial people from the hearth industry. Rod (hearthtools) is a Vesta judge, I think, although obviously he wasn't this year because he didn't attend the show. He may be able to shed slightly more light on the subject. I wanted to enter this year, but didn't feel we had NEARLY an innovative enough product to win. I will say however, that our product is a BIG step towards Vesta awards in the future. The burnpot and heat transfer system is oddly simple, but very efficient at transferring heat. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but, TOOT TOOT! haha

I bet a 7cf fire box would win that stoopid award ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.